Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Post by dorebri2020 »

I did appreciate the bond they had, but I always recognized it as a brother-sister bond over a relationship. Plus, the extreme age difference would have most likely kept a romantic relationship from happening.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: 80Bites The Dancers Diet by PhysicalMind Institute

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I never thought about it, to be honest. The age difference would just make it too icky. And, after Rudy's death, I didn't really want there to be another love interest, because it would've diverted attention from the theme of the book.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

It honestly would have been so weird if they got together. Wasn't Max like an adult when Liesel was like what, 10 years old? I'm glad they didn't get together.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I honestly thought it was going to happen throughout the whole book. I don't know if I was disappointed but it was surprising when there wasn't one. I think I would have liked it too. They just seemed to get along so well. There was definitely an infatuation on Max's side in my opinion. And if there had different circumstances (no war, etc.), maybe there would have been a relationship develop.
angiedeeh1
Currently Reading: Fervent:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiedeeh1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by angiedeeh1 »

While the ending doesn't explicitly indicate that Max and Liesel became more than just friends, I believe the ending where they "hugged and cried and fell to the floor" identifies a connection much deeper than friendship. I suppose because of all they had been through, the way they had connected while he lived in her basement, that this type of reunion makes sense. I just always sensed something much deeper between the two of them. She was constantly at his bedside when he was so sick and the way he "saw" her, the books he made for her, about her, just give me a sense that there was way more to their relationship emotionally than friendship might imply.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

I didn't watch the movie but I remember that at the end of the book I think Max ended up seeing Liesel in a line or it was the other way around. After the bomb that killed her family I liked how in the end it showed that Max had survived. So basically he was the only one left that was like her family. I really liked the bond they had and I think it was good that it was only a friendship. For me, it seemed that Max was like an older brother for Liesel who cared for each other in a sibling kind of way.
Danerys Muniz Prior
Currently Reading: The Desolations of Devil's Acre (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #6)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danerys-muniz-prior.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danerys Muniz Prior »

I think the ending of the book perfectly shows how the two have reunited. I feel as if they would defiantly be more than friends if the story were to continue past that point.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

I think a big part of the story was showing love through the eyes of a child in its purest forms. If Max and Liesel had formed a romantic bond at the end, I think that would have tainted the familial bond that had been highlighted throughout the book and taken away the impact of having this story focused on a child's experience with and view of love.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I always pictured Max to be quite a few years older than Liesel, and hence much more of an older brother. I think it would have spoiled the innocence of the relationships in the story in general if they had been romantically involved. The relationships throughout the novel were perfect just as they were.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Taylor Razzani wrote: 07 Aug 2016, 00:03 I felt like they were going to end up together, which I didn't much agree with because of the age difference. Plus, after Rudy was killed, I didn't care whatsoever who Liesel married and I certainly didn't want to like him!
Me too! I definitely felt Rudy was the one Liesel should end up with. They were so well suited to each other. :romance-inlove:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I don't think they should have ended up together, Max seemed a bit older than Liesel and I thought they had more of a brother sister relationship, which to me made it a lot more innocent, which heightened the emotion of the story
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Not really no. I liked how they were friends. Maybe they would have grown to like each other more as friends later. But considering their age, it felt better to be only friends.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Don't think so. All great friendships don't necessarily need to end up in a (serious) relationship.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

They loved each other but in a brotherly way. At least, that's how I saw it. I think the story ended perfectly.
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

If any element of romance was introduced into the book then it would divert the attention from the main message of the book which is the suffering during the Holocaust. I'm happy with the way it ended, not because everyone died, but because it really sent a message that no one was safe during this time.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”