Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Favorite parts of the book/movie

Post by evan1995muniz »

I read this book a whopping 5 years ago. It has been my favorite book since then. One of my favorite lines from the book was said by max. he said, "Living is living, the price is guilt and shame."- Zusak

What was your favorite part of the book? what was your favorite part of the movie?
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

My favourite part of the movie was when she was teaching the Jewish boy about the books she read and smuggled from a rich lady, in the storage cellar.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

My favorite was the final scene honestly. It was emotional and destructive, sure, but it was beautifully written in the novel and perfectly portrayed in the movie. I could feel the emotion in both instances.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I absolutely enjoyed the narrator, a. k. a. Death. How cool was that, huh?

Favorite part of the book for me was the shelter story-time! They are all gathered in the underground shelter, all stressed and scared and Liesel starts telling a story that helps everyone calm down.
Goosebumps!
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I really like all of the drawings and things Max leaves Liesel in her book. And like someone said previously, shelter story time. Lol
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

My favorite thing about the book is the narrator, having death narrating a story was a brilliant move. My favourite part was the ending, where death meets Liesel and the book ends with the sentence "I am haunted by humans"
angiedeeh1
Currently Reading: Fervent:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiedeeh1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by angiedeeh1 »

I love the relationship between Hans and Liesel and how he always came and would sit with her after a nightmare, would read with her, and then just sit in the chair all night, watching over her. How he sold cigarettes to buy her two books, because he knew how much it would mean to her, was beautiful. She knew how much he loved his cigarettes. It's hard for me to pick one favorite part. I think the intricacies of the relationships inspired me most throughout the story. Ilsa Hermann and her relationship with Liesel is probably the most intriguing to me. Watching their relationship unfold so slowly throughout the book, I really appreciated how that was resolved in the ending. The author's use of Death as the narrator to all of it was kind of brilliant, in my opinion. Death was almost humanized as he watches Liesel over the years. As he reflects on what he witnesses and has to endure, it's a perspective I wasn't sure I would appreciate but I loved it.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

My favorite part in the book probably the ending . Although it was sad, I really loved how the author portrayed it and how I emotionally connected with the characters.
Danerys Muniz Prior
Currently Reading: The Desolations of Devil's Acre (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #6)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danerys-muniz-prior.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danerys Muniz Prior »

I have a favorite quote from this book. it is from max when he said "living is living, the price is guilt and shame" I live by this quote.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

dorebri2020 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 08:01 My favorite was the final scene honestly. It was emotional and destructive, sure, but it was beautifully written in the novel and perfectly portrayed in the movie. I could feel the emotion in both instances.
Gosh, I agree with you. Books don't usually make me cry. The ending of both the book and movie left me speechless for days.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

My favourite part was Papa helping Liesel to learn reading. It shows how patient and kind Papa was and how determined and ambitious Liesel was.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

My favourite part was death saying he takes vacations in the colours of a sunset as a distraction from the world. It really does make you look at death from a different perspective. I also cannot forget how vividly the author described poverty at that time. Eating too many apples make Liesel feel sick as they are too rich and they eat bread with just the smell of jam spread over it. I hated the tragic ending.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Someone recommended the movie to me years ago and I watched it and loved it! But now I can't remember any specific details, although I remember a scene where all the books in the village were burned! I'm definitely going to watch the movie again now.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

My favourite part of harry potter by J.K.Rowlings is when George and Fred we're referred to as pair of human budget themselves
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

I agree! The line that you've mentioned is quite fascinating even after all these years.

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”