Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Inferno

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

I loved the book, I was finally able to finish it yesterday. Dan Brown is a personal favorite of mine.
I kept trying to guess what was going to happen, and in my opinion, the final solution was actually extremely effective. I appreciate how much art and fact Brown gets into his novels. I will admit though, I wonder how much of his explanation of overpopulation is fact and how much is poetic license. Though overpopulation is becoming an issue, I think. As a fan, I was really relieve that the watch issue got resolved.
I would definitely recommend all of Dan Brown's books to anyone, and I mostly already have. Dan Brown is able to blend fact and fiction is a way that is both enjoyable and (almost) believable.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

I could, for some reason, never pick a book by Dan Brown. They repel me and now I am determined to read at least one of them.. :P I will pick Inferno soon..
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
standi69
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Mislaid
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standi69.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by standi69 »

I read The Davinci Code a couple years ago and it was really good. I am really getting into Inferno and am only 10 chapters in. Dan Brown has an excellent way of writing that just sucks you into a book and makes you wonder where it is going to go next.
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

For my part, I don't really like Dan Brown's series, mostly because in the Da Vinci Code, real information about History was intertwined with his own made-up story, thus confusing people into believing ALL of it was true. It annoyed me so much because then everyone reading that book would end up arguing about how in History it happened that way (when obviously, it was only a story!); I'm quite the woman who loves culture and facts, so to see them taking it as real made me fume. I've always thought people were stupid for doing so, but still been blaming Dan Brown ever since xD. So, I did not read the previous ones and sadly I have kind of a grudge that prevents me from doing so with the next ones.

However, Inferno caught my eye because it's related to La divina commedia di Dante Alighieri, a series pretty close to my heart as it's a classic in the beautiful Italian language (that I've learned, yes), its idea of seven different stages of Hell and such being amazing. Now, I must admit I'm quite curious about Inferno because of this; many times I scrolled up and down on Amazon, looking at the pictures and gritting my teeth, wondering if I should read it or not. Unfortunately, I decided not to (but saved in it in Wish list; you never know xD) for the time being, preferring to perhaps read the other ones before as they might be needed in its understanding - and perhaps one day get over that grudge.
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I really enjoyed Inferno. Someone else called it popcorn literature, which I liked. It was a quick easy read that was full of things to think about and quirky pseudo-history. I've been to Venice, so it was fun to hear him describing things that I had seen so vividly, though I felt like Langdon could have skipped quite a few steps with some judicious googling.

I like reading Brown's Robert Langdon books. I feel like they are the modern equivalent to Indiana Jones. Both are professors who go on crazy adventures, then return to teach classes like nothing happened. Both save the world and get the girl, then start the next book/movie back at the beginning, single and carefree. Instead of Nazi and Russian soldiers, our world now fears bio-weapons and mad scientists.
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I read this book when it first came out and loved it. I found it to be a great addition to the series of Robert Langdon books! There were so many twists and turns that I did not see coming. I love that Dan Brown is so through with his research that goes into his writing. It felt like I was in Italy!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

Honestly, I really did not love the book all too much. There were so many times that Dan Brown twisted history and made it seem as though it were all true. There were actually some cases that he flat-out said particular dates or occurrences were facts, when they were not. That just makes me mad. The story itself is entertaining and well-written, but I do not like it the Dan Brown is deceiving people. I know I am of the very few that do not like him, but I have to voice my opinion on the subject.

Overall, I think the story is well-written. Yet, so many times, Brown lies about facts really makes them seem like truth.

-- 18 Mar 2014, 15:58 --
CatGitane wrote:For my part, I don't really like Dan Brown's series, mostly because in the Da Vinci Code, real information about History was intertwined with his own made-up story, thus confusing people into believing ALL of it was true. It annoyed me so much because then everyone reading that book would end up arguing about how in History it happened that way (when obviously, it was only a story!); I'm quite the woman who loves culture and facts, so to see them taking it as real made me fume. I've always thought people were stupid for doing so, but still been blaming Dan Brown ever since xD. So, I did not read the previous ones and sadly I have kind of a grudge that prevents me from doing so with the next ones.

However, Inferno caught my eye because it's related to La divina commedia di Dante Alighieri, a series pretty close to my heart as it's a classic in the beautiful Italian language (that I've learned, yes), its idea of seven different stages of Hell and such being amazing. Now, I must admit I'm quite curious about Inferno because of this; many times I scrolled up and down on Amazon, looking at the pictures and gritting my teeth, wondering if I should read it or not. Unfortunately, I decided not to (but saved in it in Wish list; you never know xD) for the time being, preferring to perhaps read the other ones before as they might be needed in its understanding - and perhaps one day get over that grudge.
I just wrote a small post on this forum, but did not read yours until after. I have to say I completely agree with you. Brown makes it incredibly hard to unraveling the truths with the lies. It is deceiving and I would not recommend the books to anyone who does not know their history backwards and forwards. I have seen too many people believe the falsehoods with in the stories simply because they do not know better. You are so right in saying that people take it as real, and it is sad.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
Tayla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayla.html

Post by Tayla »

I really liked it. It was really amazing. I LOVED the plot twist. I recommend this book.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

nan m wrote:I could, for some reason, never pick a book by Dan Brown. They repel me and now I am determined to read at least one of them.. :P I will pick Inferno soon..
Some books can be hard to get in to. I wish you luck with this one. I loved it.

-- 20 Mar 2014, 10:23 --
AmandaR wrote:Honestly, I really did not love the book all too much. There were so many times that Dan Brown twisted history and made it seem as though it were all true. There were actually some cases that he flat-out said particular dates or occurrences were facts, when they were not. That just makes me mad. The story itself is entertaining and well-written, but I do not like it the Dan Brown is deceiving people. I know I am of the very few that do not like him, but I have to voice my opinion on the subject.

Overall, I think the story is well-written. Yet, so many times, Brown lies about facts really makes them seem like truth.

-- 18 Mar 2014, 15:58 --
CatGitane wrote:For my part, I don't really like Dan Brown's series, mostly because in the Da Vinci Code, real information about History was intertwined with his own made-up story, thus confusing people into believing ALL of it was true. It annoyed me so much because then everyone reading that book would end up arguing about how in History it happened that way (when obviously, it was only a story!); I'm quite the woman who loves culture and facts, so to see them taking it as real made me fume. I've always thought people were stupid for doing so, but still been blaming Dan Brown ever since xD. So, I did not read the previous ones and sadly I have kind of a grudge that prevents me from doing so with the next ones.

I just wrote a small post on this forum, but did not read yours until after. I have to say I completely agree with you. Brown makes it incredibly hard to unraveling the truths with the lies. It is deceiving and I would not recommend the books to anyone who does not know their history backwards and forwards. I have seen too many people believe the falsehoods with in the stories simply because they do not know better. You are so right in saying that people take it as real, and it is sad.

I hope I am not being to rude by saying this, but that would be the persons fault for not realizing they took a book from the fiction section. He has never said they was true there for if someone was to assume, it's their own fault.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
MasonHerder
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masonherder.html

Post by MasonHerder »

I read this book way back in middle school, but I still was able to enjoy it at such young age. The material in the book was pretty coarse, and definitely not for just any reader.
tgallahan

Post by tgallahan »

Of the four Robert Langdon books by Dan Brown, this one was my least favorite. I felt the book dragged on in way too many places. I also felt like he threw in names of art just to throw them in there, not to necessarily add to the story. I felt like Dan Brown was really just stretching things in this book.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

MasonHerder wrote:I read this book way back in middle school, but I still was able to enjoy it at such young age. The material in the book was pretty coarse, and definitely not for just any reader.
It's possible you are thinking of a different Inferno, because this book just came out last year.

I just wanted to talk about this paragraph. "Botticelli was extremely faithful in his interpretation of Dante's text. In fact, he spend so much time reading Dante that the great art historian Giorgio Vasari said Botticelli's obsession with Dante led to 'serious disorders in his living.' Botticelli created more than two dozen other works relating to Dante..."

Can we talk about how Botticelli (and also Michelangelo) was a Dante fanboy? And he made fanart...which is now famous. This makes me really happy. I tend to think of fandoms as a a relatively modern internet phenomenon, in that vehicles like tumblr and FF.net have brought fans together and given them a way to connect outside of conventions. But these now famous artists were so hardcore into a fiction book that they had trouble with real life...which I can relate to.
Angelnutt27

Post by Angelnutt27 »

:) I liked this book, but not as good as the others. Definitely makes one stop and think though.
LindaMacai

Post by LindaMacai »

I found it too similar to his other books, although it is entertaining I found I was not surprised by the twists and turns.

I would recommend it to my friends
jseyfried
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jseyfried.html

Post by jseyfried »

I realy enjoyed this book. Like others I wasnt as thrilled with The Lost Symbol as his other books but this one was a real page turner. It kept my attention from start to finish. Angels and Demons is still my favorite but this book may now be my 2nd favorite.

Return to “"Inferno" by Dan Brown”