To Outline or Not to Outline

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: To Outline or Not to Outline

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I am a fiction writer. For me, if I spent any time outlining, I would never write a thing. If I spend my energy trying to envision a skeletal frame for the story, I would never create it. For me, the story flows out of me as it will. I follow where the characters take me, and the plot builds itself. Often when I think I might know where it will end, the characters take a detour and surprise me with something completely different. At the end I have some clean up, sure, but the story is fresh, not forced into a frame, does not look like something that follows a formula. The characters act as people do, they are not stilted cardboard cut outs moving by strings pulled in the background.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I've always used some kind of working outline. I'm not super picky, sometimes the outline will look like bare bones, other times it almost looks like a stream of consciousness that I'll eventually turn into chapters. There have been times when I tried to eliminate the outline altogether, but it really does help me stay on track and organize my thoughts.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I usually outline major events in my story. I also like to write down specific dialogue or expressions that I want to use in a scene so that I won't forget later on.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

I don't always start an initial draft as an outline, even with longer work. I free-write and try to leverage that initial burst of excitement/inspiration for a project down on paper. Then, sometimes, I outline shorter work using that material. I always outline longer work.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

You don’t need to outline. In fact, Stephen King suggests against it. It’s all a matter of personal preference. I think all you really have to know is the basic idea, your main characters, and any major events because all these things shape your story. If you don’t know them, you don’t really know what story you’re telling.

Personally, I like to outline. I’ve recently tried to just let the story flow, but I realized it’s not my style. Whenever I return to the place I left off, I get lost on what happens next. I need a guide (it doesn’t have to be specific) to know what to write and keep the story on track.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think outlining the story helps me a lot. A lot of times I have a vision of a certain scene, the ending or the beginning of the story in mind, I might get stuck in the middle if I didn't outline anything.
But I have to control myself as to not micro-plan every single thing- because it's more like procrastination when I don't ever feel confident enough to actually start writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”