Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Re: Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Loving to read doesn't mean you have to write as well. Some venture into writing as a hobby. I know a fellow bookworm who's one of a handful of reading giants in our reading group who wrote and published a book; later learned there were two books under their belt. I don't see myself as a bookworm as I'm very picky about the types of books I read.

Though I enjoy writing. Outside of book reviews, I write about games I play in my free time along with light walk-thru guides for major in-game events.
Kaushik Roy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kaushik Roy »

If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others, read a lot and write a lot.
Harshinittu
Currently Reading: America Dies - When Based Upon Lies
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Harshinittu »

Clearly writing is a very difficult job, we need creativity, imagination, story making capacity and more over being able to convey what we actually want to tell.
And reading is quite fun, it engages us in good things, I love reading.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I don't think it's like a bound thing that if you are a reader you have to be a writer too or vice-versa. But I do think that they both compliment each other. Reading books makes you a better writer, and writing a book make you a better judge for recognizing good writing.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

Well, I don't think you HAVE to be a writer just because you love reading, though I believe most writers begin as readers. You can simply enjoy the books without having to write yourself. But if a writer doesn't read, well, I personally will doubt their expertise.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

For me, they are because I love reading and writing. I read first and then I write.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

Reading is a prerequisite for being able to write. If you are not an avid reader, the chances of you going is very slim, almost impossible. So writing goes with reading
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

Nope. Just because you don't write doesn't mean you're a bad reader.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Wow! I just answered this question indirectly in my previous posts. Reading and writing can not be separated. There can be no writing without reading. I mean, who does that? If you say you are a writer, permit me to call you a reader also.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Of a truth, reading and writing are just like joint or complementary goods. One will always complement the other. When you write, automatically, you also read through the process. There's no need of separating this two. They are inseparable.

Return to “Writing Discussion”