How did you learn to write well?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
sandranovack
Bookshelf Size: 0

How to write well?

Post by sandranovack »

I always feel as though I'm still learning. Even now, sitting down to start my second novel, I feel as though I'm back to square one: new sets of questions, new problems and doubts. Which POV? How many alternating viewpoints? What tense? Back story? I also sat down to write a new short story for my agent the other day, and even that felt hard after writing a long work. Ugh.

I can say that formal study and training helped quite a lot. Learning from working writers is a great experience and helps you assemble a bag of "craft" tricks. I know people get down on MFAs--and there are valid reasons to do so--but only in a program of study can you really give yourself permission to BE a writer and make that a priority. (Well, that's of course my opinion! Lots of people do it other ways and succeed.)

Also, reading is so important to writing well. Mentor with those authors--dead or alive--that you most love. They teach you wonderful things about deceleration, pacing, crunching time, deepening character, structure. All of that!

Then I'd just say: Don't be afraid to fail. And fail and try and fail and try. There are lots of poor attempts and clunky lines and bad ideas on the way to learning how to write something well. Be demanding with yourself, but give yourself some permission to not always get it "right." Play, have fun. As my advisor used to say: It's hard work, but it should be FUN, too, at times. :D

Good luck!
Sandra Novack
RichardG

Post by RichardG »

Am still learning the art of writing and it will always be a learning process because every time i start writing i get to learn new things.
development

Post by development »

I always played around with writing as a kid. My parents really encouraged me. I took a couple of creative writing courses in high school.
It is an on-going learning process, that's for sure.
K.H.Kew

Post by K.H.Kew »

Read as a 'writer' - yes. Start writing and just keep writing, whether it's at the beginning, middle or end - yes. Edit later - don't get bogged down in seeking perfection at the start. But what about the basic trait that no-one's mentioned? Life?? Writing skills are one thing, but if you have nothing to say, you have nothing to say. The best writers have an amazing sense of observation, they see the connections and meaning in every subtlety. They can both zoom in on detail and draw back on the big picture at will. They are human sponges. They listen and observe, meld information with understanding... then simply distil and convey, distil and convey.
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I think learning to write well comes from what you read. Its true that you take on the certain "flavor" of your favorite author or style of writing. Its what you like to read that turns into what you like to write.

Constantly learning! I've never had my stuff published, but anything you can take from anyone who reads your writing... take it! Sometimes its hard to let people read your stuff because you're afraid that they won't like it, but the truth is, there will always be someone who has something negative to say and its up to you to use it to your advantage. If there's a problem with how your story flows, try to go back and see of you can fix where it starts to get off track. I know I constantly delete whole chapters that I find I, or someone else, didn't like.

But don't get bogged down with others' opinions and remember that your gut instinct in what should be written should be followed. Don't second guess too much!
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
morehouse_tim

Post by morehouse_tim »

Thanks for posting this question!
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I think, the main place to learn is a school. But life experience helps us too.
liquidgraph

Post by liquidgraph »

Lots of great advise in this thread. I've been toying with idea of getting into Sci-Fi novel writing and bought a few well-reviewed writing book on Amazon to get started. I figured this would a retirement hobby that I'd like to pick up over time (I'm only 23). I started researching various Sci-Fi topics and jot down plot ideas from time to time as they come to me.

I'd love to get some free time to take a few fiction writing courses at a community college.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I learned to write during those summer days when I wasn't doing anything but stay in the house. My parents wouldn't let me out of the house. The only thing that I could do was play with the typewriter. I was writing a journal using that typewriter as early as 8 years old.
lukechanning

Post by lukechanning »

I read a lot, and believe it or not, learning to speak fluid French really helped me out. Interesting how learning a foreign language can help a native one.
Better Fiction

Post by Better Fiction »

How do we learn to write well?

Read. Write. Critique and have your work critiqued.

It was this last step that I lacked for many years. The opportunity to give feedback on others' writing is almost as important as the feedback I get on my own.

As far as reading, I do think there is a place for the "how to" book as well. My fatal flaw had less to do with grammar than with actual story construction. There were two things that helped me work through that. First, I studied plot theory as seen by screenwriters. Second, I worked harder on actually finishing my writing projects. That's probably the most important. Even a bad story or book you've written will teach you a great deal, if you will push through and finish it.

Wade
reinvaldez

Post by reinvaldez »

Thank you for those valuable things about learning and practicing writing. I am a hard trying person who tries to write nice article.

I also agree that learning doesn't stop, still continues as long we were living in this world. :)
allenz

Post by allenz »

Hi,
I think i am still learning !.................... :)
DSFlyman

Post by DSFlyman »

you mean write good? lol
andr70

Post by andr70 »

You should learn during all the life. And will not be an ideal!

Return to “Writing Discussion”