Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
KirkhamsEbooks.com
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KirkhamsEbooks.com »

I don't like doing the same work twice

So I alway have my pocket pc cell phone with me and when I'm not near a computer I write with that. Then I just transfer over with a memory card

Rick
Authors and Publishers Tools and Information New Submission All Downloads for Publishing and Publishers on One Page

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/WritersTools/index.htm
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

Isn't it hard to write with a pocket PC? I would have thought that it was.
KirkhamsEbooks.com

Post by KirkhamsEbooks.com »

It's not my first choice, but I selected this pocket pc cell phone because of the slide out keyboard with blue tooth keyboard option. It's still a lot better for this carpal tunneled boy than writing on a pad and paper and then writing the same thing on the computer

Rick
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

So, I usually write everything on the computer. Do you do that?
Yes. Whenever I can - if I can help it. My mind flies so much faster than my hand on paper and I can type so much faster than I can write so I always try to type it out. I don't like it at times because I feel like I can write whenever a computer isn't avaliable, but I get through it.

Or, do you write some thing by hand?
No, not really. Of course in the middle of the night I may wake up with my characters' voices streaming through my head and then I must jot it down or it'll melt away. My hand kills, though my the time I'm finished from all my straining to get every word possible down (because when you're writing an awesome novel and you're on the brink of something fantastic there's no way you're gonna loose one word - it's just how it is... with me) -- another reason why I prefer to type it out. Typing also helps get the mistakes and misspellings out all ready - that eliminates some editing and frivolous mistakes. My handwriting can also get quite atrocious and messy so typing is also nice and consistent. Print makes it seem more ...official... and professional too - to some degree.

What do you by hand, if you do?
Actually, I have set out to learn shorthand - it's a big and tedious and meticulous task but it will help me greatly - not only with quick writing but with note taking in school and jotting down messages and stuff. I'm weird, I know.
Hope

Post by Hope »

I used to write on paper, but now I've gotten used to writing on the computer. It's just cleaner, neater, easier, and I can edit anything I want to, without going through the trouble of erasing stuff; like I do on paper.
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
♥ ♥ ♥
Everything changes.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Paper...computer...I like my typewriters too :wink:
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I type almost everything. This is because I can type much faster than I can write, and also because I tend to write on little scraps of paper, and then I lose them!
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

Always use the typewriter for writing.
I type very fast.
Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

Terri2 wrote:I can't write well by hand, but I can type fast, and of course typing comes out neat and clean. Plus, I have spell-checker. So, I usually write everything on the computer. Do you do that? Or, do you write some thing by hand? What do you by hand, if you do?
Like most everyone else who answered, I type faster than I write. Problem though, when using a pen, my ideas and words flow better. Quite often I have all these interesting ideas bouncing around, rush to the computer and my mind goes blank! I try to jot quick notes, but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. Of course my journals are all written by hand because I tend to write in them only when upset or angry and stabbing a pen on the paper gives me some kind of wierd satisfaction!
deasy

Post by deasy »

I usually write using the computer. The pen...ah, it's messy, tiring, and hard to change things. But writing on paper is nice because it naturally feels like you're reading a story out of a book, unlike the computer. @_@
sandranovack

Post by sandranovack »

I do both. Initially, I do a lot of writing both on paper and on the computer (depending upon what's in front of me when I get a thought). Then I tend to "collect" things on the computer, written from hand and typed in. Then I organize things in "clumps" on the computer (what belongs in back story, what belongs in this scene vs. the next). Then I print all that out, no matter how messy, and start writing the chapter on legal pad. Then I retype it all into the computer. Then I print out and tweak on paper. Then I go back to the computer.

Boy, seriously, the more I tell people all that, the more it sounds tedious!!! I guess a lot of my day is! :)
Original Cyn
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: Intensity
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Original Cyn »

I actually prefer writing old school on a tablet of paper with a good ink pen sitting at a bookstore with a hot cup o' joe!
Something about it is more freeing and the words just seem to flow better when I write freehand.
Occasionally I'll use my laptop but mostly the computer part of it is reserved for doing the finished product.
Hippykitty

Post by Hippykitty »

Another advantage of writing on computer is that it eliminates the accumulation of paper, which I hate. Bits of paper, or notebooks, always get lost, but it would be hard to lose my computer.

I never write away from home. I'm the type who needs solitude and privacy. Writing in public would make me feel naked.

I do get mouse-ache sometimes, but that's not so bad as writer's cramp.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

usually I am thinking to fast to write by hand, so I need a computer.
Sheila
Favorite Author: Impossible to pick
Favorite Book: Gone With The Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sheila »

I do both equally, my ideas flow better with pen and then I edited with the computer

Return to “Writing Discussion”