Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
summerstorm2013
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summerstorm2013.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by summerstorm2013 »

It depends. I can jot down ideas or characters on paper, especially when an idea hits me and I'm not near a keyboard. I can write poetry on paper. If I am writing and in the rhythm of the story, it has to be at a computer. My mind goes faster than my fingers and I will lose my train of thought if I'm writing it out on paper.
jcorkman1
Favorite Author: Clive Cussler
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6858

Post by jcorkman1 »

I have the same problem with getting ideas down fast. Now I use a software program that allows me to speak and have it written onto a page on my computer. I keep a microphone on a table next to my chair, and when I think of something I just talk. It works great for keeping my chain of thought on a subject.

James
candicec11

Post by candicec11 »

I use both. I used to prefer writing by hand but I got over it. I have a digital pen so I can download what I write to the computer and it converts it to text so I can edit on the computer. It gives me the best of both worlds. I love it since there's a lot of time when I'm riding in the car or out for a walk or hike and inspiration strikes. I also have to have pen and pad on my nightstand since inspiration also strikes when I'm trying to sleep! Sometimes I just retype what I wrote by hand and "edit" as I go along. Usually I'll be able to expand on what I wrote.
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

I use the computer to write and blog. As for personal account and reminders, I turn to my journal and notepad respectively.
Sherlock_1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-1.html
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Post by Sherlock_1 »

Pretty much always. I can never write anything by hand fast enough and I usually forget where I was going with a thought.
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

Writing prose: yes, computer only. I used to write light verse frequently, and sometimes song lyrics. For both I'd normally work out details on paper first and then later use the computer.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

For story writing I use the computer 70-80% of the time. I only switch to paper if I'm away from the computer or have hit a block writing by keyboard. Handwriting can often bypass that block.

Poetry I compose almost exclusively on paper but I will type it up and onto computer after a first or third draft to keep it safe.

I also write by hand if I'm in class (because I never take my laptop with me).

Like a few of you, I've picked up the writer's love for stationary. It's one of my favourite parts of a shop (minus the doughnuts and bacon). I have more notebooks than I should rightly have and the same goes for pens - of all colours.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
SusanParkerRosen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanparkerrosen.html

Post by SusanParkerRosen »

Always, always, always use my computer. The program that I have for creating Ebooks also has a section for ideas and the draft. To make certain that the content is not loss by computer failure...Carbonite is a must!
RadiantColour

Post by RadiantColour »

I always use the computer - it's just faster for me! I can type much faster than I can intelligibly write. I tend to use Evernote to hold the plan and notes and then write in Word. I keep a notepad with me nearly all the time too, so if I have a sudden idea I always have some way of jotting it down.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I love the ease of typing but I also love to write things down my hand. So if I start working on a story I will usually start it out on paper, mostly Ideas, characters and plot and then type the actual story on the computer.
zoomintovicky
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoomintovicky.html

Post by zoomintovicky »

I usually write everything on my notebook. Then I type chapters on my laptop and always end up adding/cutting stuff during the process. So a bit of both, I guess.
kim-darrell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-darrell.html

Post by kim-darrell »

I just started writing a novel and am going about it the old fashioned way. I am using a notebook, pencil and eraser. This way I can flip through the pages when I am ready to do my editing. Then after I have the entire thing edited to the way I would like it I then plan on typing it all up on my computer. Another reason I am starting out with paper is because I want to have a hard copy of the original book so that if anything ever happens I will always at least have one copy available.
Tiffany A
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffany-a.html

Post by Tiffany A »

I like to type when im working on my blog. But i also like writing by hand in a journal. Also i like handwritten letters. Today not many people handwrite letters what with facebook amd email and such.
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

For the most part I do.
Meadowsaurus
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadowsaurus.html

Post by Meadowsaurus »

I prefer to write by hand. I type fast, but when I'm writing I like to be able to focus on the task at hand. If I'm on a computer, I always end up trying to multitask and end up getting completely distracted.

Return to “Writing Discussion”