Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
LEissler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Post by LEissler »

Usually when I've found myself stuck when writing my fiction book, I try to do the thing I'm writing about myself. For example in the book I'm working on I was having a hard time describing an event that went on in the book. So my fiancee and I got up and enacted the event in our living room and I was able to get new ideas from that.
Booknet15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknet15.html

Post by Booknet15 »

That is a really good idea! I will try that next time I have writer's block.
BreeHoward

Post by BreeHoward »

I fully agree with all of these great tips! Getting outside for even a short walk seems to magically clear my head anytime I struggle with writer's block. All of that open sky seems to clear space in my head. I also try to practice being a listener. When I get stuck, it is most often because I tried to take over the story, rather than let my characters tell their own story at their own pace. At the most frustrating moments, I like to take a step back and go meet my character again. I'll explore simple details and just write about his or her day. It seems to help by getting me intrigued by my character's story once more.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Ghostwalker117 wrote: 24 Mar 2012, 10:49 We all have that time when we just get stuck and run out of ideas when we write our stories. I would just like to know how my fellow authors deal with their block. As for me I just take a break from writing for two weeks and take a mini holiday cuddling up with a good movie.
It's not that I do not experience Writer's block, but I think the problem is not on the lack of ideas but rather, the lack of interest in writing. I do feel this sometimes, and I think that the best way to overcome it is just to start writing. I time myself for two minutes, then I just write. If I didn't feel like writing, then I can continue later, or tomorrow. I do this technique a lot of times and has helped me overcome procrastination.

Return to “Writing Discussion”