Do you have a writing schedule?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Re: Do you have a writing schedule?

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I don't have a solid writing schedule. That may be due to the fact that it's hard to control my writing inspiration. Being tired from the day's work and activity also make it near impossible to want to do any work. However, when I do choose to write, I sit down and set a timer. I tend to go for thirty minutes. How much can I do during that time? It helps to keep the burnout to a minimum and sometimes if I'm invested I reset it for another thirty minutes. The whole point of the timer is just to give me the opportunity to feel like I know what I did with my time and what can I do next. It doesn't have to be long periods of undisturbed time. Instead, it can be small periods that add up in the day. And you can use notebooks or a phone or a laptop or a voice recorder. Anything to keep track of your thoughts. My last suggestion would be to take breaks every thirty minutes to one hour. That has helped me when I write all day. Good luck with your writing.
Princessrishika
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Princessrishika »

I want to make a schedule of writing but I always get demotivated. Please guide me
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

Yes I usually have my writing schedule planned out. More lately I realised there is so much work to do as a writer so I take a day off work in a week
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I usually just write when I'm feeling motivated. I don't like togive myself a schedule because I want the ideas to come naturally to me and not feel forced. But giving myself a deadline helps keep me on track.
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

I think deadlines in general are very helpful for me personally. They help you plan things in your mind verses cramming everything until the very last minute.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

I have always written as a hobby and worked throughout the day. For me what has worked is doing a consistent little bit of writing every day.

I used to take the train into work and I would write a little bit of my thoughts into a document on my phone in the 15 minutes to and from work each day and then pull that together into a larger piece on my laptop later.

Since then I have found consistency of time is helpful so planning that I will write for an hour or so at the same time every day and it just becomes part of my normal routine.

When I want to do a big edit I do find it helpful to do that all in one go however and just throw a whole day or whole weekend at it.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I do have a schedule. For me mornings are the perfect time to work on personal projects. So 5:30 to 8:30 works best. I will be about to write for up to two and half hours and take about a half hour break in between.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I don't have a set schedule, but I'm a morning person so my best work is done before midday. Other than that I write when the moment moves me. I jot down ideas on-the-go so that I can expand on them later.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

I tried a writing schedule but it didn’t really work for me. I like setting myself deadlines to “hand in” to my friend. Sometimes I’m on an adrenaline rush and manage to write quite a few chapters in one sitting.
all’s fair in love and poetry

Return to “Writing Discussion”