Do you have a writing schedule?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Do you have a writing schedule?

Post by eastandalchemy »

How many hours per day (or week, or month) do you dedicate to writing your personal projects? Do you have a writing schedule, or only sit down when inspiration strikes?

As a freelance writer, I'm guilty of dedicating more time to my client's projects than my personal work. But when my freelance jobs are slow I dive into writing my novel for about 4-6 hours per day unless I am feeling incredibly inspired to get my ideas on paper. I find that if I write 6+ hours per day for several days in a row I feel burnt out and have to take even more days off to recharge. How do you prevent burn-out when you are inspired to write but don't want to deplete your creative juices?
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

I've found that I can work longer and avoid burnout by changing environments. I'd have a lot of trouble if I were to sit at my computer all day every day, but I can take some time to go outside and just let my mind explore the story while I jot down some notes. I'm still being creative and productive, but it's enough of a change that I don't feel like I'm getting stuck.
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by TalonFox »

Good question!! I hope more people reply so I can see what others do.
Personally, as someone who writes very emotionally raw poetry I get a bit embarrassed at the idea of someone reading my work. So I like to take the time to write when I'm in my car commuting to work and on the way home!
And no, this isn't dangerous, as I put my phone on voice text in its dash holder and just speak into it.
I find that the focus on driving really allows me to just speak my mind, and then I can go back and edit later.
But that's just one way I do it! Love to hear others!!
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:

Post by eastandalchemy »

Kyrenora wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 21:41 I've found that I can work longer and avoid burnout by changing environments. I'd have a lot of trouble if I were to sit at my computer all day every day, but I can take some time to go outside and just let my mind explore the story while I jot down some notes. I'm still being creative and productive, but it's enough of a change that I don't feel like I'm getting stuck.
I often get stuck in the rut of thinking I have to produce a certain number of words per day but I am trying to retrain myself to get out of the productivity-based mindset. Time spent in nature is one of my favorite ways to disconnect and replenish my creative spirit.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:

Post by eastandalchemy »

TalonFox wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 21:48 Good question!! I hope more people reply so I can see what others do.
Personally, as someone who writes very emotionally raw poetry I get a bit embarrassed at the idea of someone reading my work. So I like to take the time to write when I'm in my car commuting to work and on the way home!
And no, this isn't dangerous, as I put my phone on voice text in its dash holder and just speak into it.
I find that the focus on driving really allows me to just speak my mind, and then I can go back and edit later.
But that's just one way I do it! Love to hear others!!
I used to have a long commute to work, and I would often become super inspired while driving. I think it was because I would just allow my mind to wander without direction or distraction, and often that's when the best ideas pop up. Unfortunately, I never thought to use my phone to record my thoughts, but looking back now, I wish I would have! Typically, by the time I arrived home or got to work, the idea was long gone :roll:
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

eastandalchemy wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 10:57
Kyrenora wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 21:41 I've found that I can work longer and avoid burnout by changing environments. I'd have a lot of trouble if I were to sit at my computer all day every day, but I can take some time to go outside and just let my mind explore the story while I jot down some notes. I'm still being creative and productive, but it's enough of a change that I don't feel like I'm getting stuck.
I often get stuck in the rut of thinking I have to produce a certain number of words per day but I am trying to retrain myself to get out of the productivity-based mindset. Time spent in nature is one of my favorite ways to disconnect and replenish my creative spirit.
I don't think so much that you need to get away from a productivity-based mindset. I think you may benefit more from adjusting your definition of "productivity." It's not always quantifiable. You can work on your story without writing a single word. Rolling it over in your mind will allow you to create additional depth to setting and characters, it'll help you better understand your plot, and even give space for inspiration for anything your story might have been missing. Don't focus so much on your numbers. I know when I do that , it stresses me out to no end. Instead, I try breaking it down into sections. Whether each section is a scene, a dialogue exchange, or just a description, I decide what's important to work through that day. I do it to the best of my ability, and then I plot out and start writing the next bit.
jadriscoll
Currently Reading: Prostate Cancer: Sheep or Wolf?
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadriscoll.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by jadriscoll »

I start out with a simple writing task. Then I feel productive and I can move on to accomplish a bigger chink of work. I set up a timeline to finish a project and set up due dates that are small, attainable sections. I like to do research; so i will end my work session with this activity.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I have tried and failed to keep to a writing schedule. At first, I tried an hour a day in a variety of places and then 30 min. because my focus was horrible. Know I've been trying to start up again, hopefully with better luck.
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by WhiteLotus »

I don't have a writing schedule. I wish I did, though. Maybe I would actually finish all the stuff I start then. If not a schedule, at least a goal of words per day.
But I'm not disciplined enough. :( I need to work harder at it.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:

Post by eastandalchemy »

jadriscoll wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 21:50 I start out with a simple writing task. Then I feel productive and I can move on to accomplish a bigger chink of work. I set up a timeline to finish a project and set up due dates that are small, attainable sections. I like to do research; so i will end my work session with this activity.
Research is one of my favorite aspects as well! I'll often start with research in order to inspire me before I begin writing for the day.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I did have then found it too confining. But I may need to go back to it. Now I seem to say, aw, hmm... I don't need to do that right now. So not much gets done. I have a few WIP's sitting waiting for my attention but I keep finding other things to do. Going back to a schedule with daily goals seems the only sensible thing to do if I truly wish to complete the works.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I do not have a stable schedule. What happens is that I grab the pen when inspiration possesses my mind.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I wish I could say that I have a writing schedule, but I can't even tell you that my day job has a set schedule either... I start my pay the bills job at 7 am after a 45 minute commute... Then I get off when the day is done.. Today was 6 pm. Yesterday was 5:30 pm. Last Friday was 3 pm... Then I commute home for 45 minutes. It makes figuring out a writing schedule rough.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I don't have much of a schedule but do include personal writing tasks on my to do list. That said, I did manage to knock out seven outlines for some blog posts.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I write every weekday morning until I reach a minimum of 350 words. I average about 400 words a day which become 2000 a week. After ten months to a year I have a 85-100 thousand word book. For me writing is a hobby that I do on my way to work on transit or nowadays, before my kids wake up for school.

Return to “Writing Discussion”