Write but don't read

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Chilispree
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chilispree.html

Re: Write but don't read

Post by Chilispree »

your post is interesting to me, because I also used to feel this way. I found that I almost couldn't read. I was too distracted. I was eventually diagnosed with ADD. Since then, I've been able to understand my distractions and delve back into reading. I realize now that reading is an excellent supplement to writing. I imagined that my writing without reading was a very small wheel, but as I began to read more, the wheel expanded, and each of my thoughts became fresher and less derivative. It almost seems counterintuitive. One would think that reading makes a writer's work more derivative but I actually think it's the opposite, because reading tends to work writers' creative muscles (or at least mine).
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can't wrap my head around this concept. Culture shock. How does it even work?
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I believe that reading and writing go hand in hand. You experience the writing styles of others and learn how they draw you into their work which then nurtures you as a writer. That's how I feel.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I don't think that half my writing would be as good if I didn't read. Reading gives me inspiration, and I learn. If I read good books I learn about plot and characterization. I however, do not depend on my writing as an income, so I have more time. If I don't write one day it is not a big deal. I think that everyone should try to read in their daily schedule, because it really improves your writing.
Braktooth
Currently Reading: I'm Tired Of Racism
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

I have to read. I can't write without knowing something, and reading helps me learn, even if it's only how other people are writing. Sometimes there are styles or approaches that never would have occurred to me that help with my writing. In any case, I started reading before I was writing, and I'm pretty sure that pattern isn't going to change at this point.
THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Post by THWilliams82 »

When I first started writing I found it hard to read books with a different POV to what I was writing. I don't find that any more and so can enjoy any books whilst writing my own!
Dawn Chandler
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8954">The Dark Lady</a>
Currently Reading: Potent Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 578
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Dawn Chandler »

I absolutely love to read, and I read a wide variety of authors and genres. I write, mostly, historical romance, but my favorite author is Stephen King. I will read most anything and love to read almost as much as I love to write.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

It all depends on how you work. When I made games, I had zero time to play them, and often didn't even want to because I had to test my own so dang much! I'd imagine the same is true about writing - after spending all day writing and editing, the last thing I'd want to do is read!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm the same way. I cannot focus on reading. Fortunately, I can focus on writing. Go figure. I read voraciously as a kid/teen/college student. Now, whenever I finish reading a book, I congratulate myself. That's how hard it is. (I don't know if the problem is psychological, physiological, or physical.) I'd be more upset about it if my writing weren't successful. (And by successful, I mean that I actually CAN buckle down and focus on that.)
DrummerDancer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DrummerDancer »

I've started recently trying to read more, if only to become a better writer.
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

I don't think I personally could write if I didn't read. For one thing, what I read affects my writing style. Sometimes I actually catch myself picking up words and mannerisms from the book I'm reading or just finished, (most of which gets worked out in editing) so I try to make sure I don't read too many poorly written books.
I've also noticed that reading the occasional bad book helps me figure out what went wrong and how I personally can avoid it. I've also found it a good way to spark ideas. Out of an entire book, 1 insignificant detail will start an entire story going in my head. The author could mention petting a black dog and then never mention the animal again. A few days later, I'm thinking about a story of a big black dog.
But that's just me.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I do both because I love to do both. Reading inspires me to write too. I didn't even know until now that it's possible to write without reading, at least within one's genre. If you just write to pour out your thoughts, that's fine. But you'll really need to do a lot of reading if you're writing what you might want people to read. It helps a lot, with grammar, interests, organization, learning how to pass your messages across, and what have you. I think you should try to make out time to read a lot more.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I couldn't imagine writing without reading, although it's interesting to hear how it's the opposite for some. I guess that by reading, you kind of learn the basics of how to write yourself. At first you will most likely imitate another author but when you figure out your own style you'll be able to develop it without being influenced by others.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

If you write and you don't read I don't think is a problem but I believe that to be fair to other writers you should just make time to read other people's stories. That would even improve your writing skills.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

At least every writer has got to read, especially something related to his or her field. It will definitely benefit their own writings.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Writing Discussion”