Write but don't read

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Re: Write but don't read

Post by shayna »

I think reading inspires writing. You develop and adapt to techniques that you have experienced in reading. I do find that a little odd that you don't read, but to each their own
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
WriterBLAlley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WriterBLAlley »

WriterBLAlley wrote:I don't have the patience to read much for entertainment now. I rely on the books I read when I was younger.

I also don't read much in order to avoid accidentally copying an idea too closely.
I still do, of course. Just not as much as when I was younger.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, being retired provides more raw time, although recently I've been working on my 3rd novel for about 5 hours a day. This is about the max because I have my live-in girlfriend with whom to spend time, and of course a bit of recreation, watching Cosmos and Supernatural, NFL season upcoming. However I still read a lot for recreation and general knowledge. Right now I'm reading a superb bio of Julius Caesar by Philip Freeman (highly recommended, reads like a novel, also detailed and a "new scholarship" product**). Reading "New Proofs for Existence of God" by Spitzer, a book on quantum physics, the crazy novel "Crash" by JG Ballard, and re-reading the Odyssey the umpeenth time. I also dip into my beloved "Ulysses" and read a chapter there, occasionally as well. I've read Ulysses maybe 25 times and I still enjoy it. Oh, yeah, "reading" La Boheme by Puccini (the opera score) -- I sight read music and I can "read" a score as someone might read a novel, "hearing" the music as I peruse the score -- it's not a mark of smartness, it's an acquired skill, anyone who can read music can learn this "trick".

** "New scholarship" -- Historic accounts often are flavored by the era in which they were written. I'm a student of Roman history and this (and bios of Caesar -- another fave of mine) fluctuate. For example, during Britain's colonial period, Rome was viewed more favorably, the "Pax Romana" being more emphasized. And during the relinquishment era, Rome's brutality is seen as prevalent. Later, US "imperialism" is compared with Rome (there is actually no similarity at all) and both a seen as evil.

Only recently (the last 2 decades or so) has much of historic scholarship happily been disconnected from politics and especially from hypercritical views of Rome or Caesar especially masked personal agendas. The "new scholarship" is neutral, showing good & bad equally and dispassionately. Also, recent archaeological digs, especially into small communities and rural lifestyles of the Roman times have provided more thorough and more factual bases for histories and biographies. This is a welcome change.

Let me strongly recommend ANY book by the Brit historian (and novelist) Adrian Goldsworthy. His very recent "Caesar: A Colossus" is easily the finest bio ever of Julius Caesar, and a very long book too, deep in military venues as well as the standard history (Goldsworthy is also a leading military historian!). And also, the new "Julius Caesar" by the American historian Philip Freeman is tops, a bit less imposing. These books are all products of the "new scholarship" crowd.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

I do believe that writers who read will be more successful and writing will come easier to them. I feel like reading and writing go hand in hand. But if you can do it, then do it. You know what works best for you.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
booknut2

Post by booknut2 »

Initially when I began writing I thought I might accidently steal ideas from other writers so I would not read if I was writing but now I understand that to be a good writer I must read and analyze other writers to learn from them. I recently read a book the same way I would watch a good movie, finish it and start again. That is something I never do but I really like the writing so I want to look at how the author writes rather than just get lost in the story. I have to admit that I don't read as much as I would like to but I'm trying to change that along with being more serious about my writing.
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

I don't think that's odd at all. I write and read...though I tend to read more when I'm not writing as much. There are a lot of factors; if you spend most of your time trying to write and polish up your own books, it's not strange that you don't have much reading time.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

I have the opposite problem. I read a lot but don't write much. I'm sure reading helps writing, but there is obviously too much of a good thing.

-- 14 Jul 2014, 22:00 --

I have the opposite problem. I read a lot but don't write much. I'm sure reading helps writing, but there is obviously too much of a good thing.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I think there have been times when I've written without reading, but most of my inspiration comes from reading things so when ever I'm not reading I'll usually find myself in a writing lull. I read and write at different times of the day to, so that helps with time management. I'm usually not competing one with the other.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I think reading is essential for any writer, consciously and subconsciously you take away so much from books that have the power to improve your stories a great deal.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I think you should read too. You can learn new things.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Fran wrote:I recently heard this very suggestion being put to an award winning author & I thought her response was interesting ..... she said that in her opinion a writer who does not read is like a gardener who doesn't use mulch. :lol:

Applauds loudly!

I was pondering how to phrase a response to this without being snide.
mrsladyn64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsladyn64.html

Post by mrsladyn64 »

When you're learning to write, I believe it is imperative to read. When you're an accomplished writer, I don't believe it is necessary to read in your genre. I am learning to write fiction, so I have to read a lot.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

If you ever read Stephen King he mentions frequently in his forewords and afterwords books he has enjoyed. To me constant reading is not just a pleasure but a necessity.
mrsladyn64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsladyn64.html

Post by mrsladyn64 »

I knew of an author, personally, who read poetry. He was a fiction writer and he told me he didn't read fiction. He read plays and poetry.
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

When I'm in writing mode, I think of reading as research. You can see what other writers are doing, what you like, and what doesn't work for you. Even if I'm not consciously analyzing while I read, I find it still helps me in the end. It's my antidote for frustration too; if I hit a roadblock, I read to clear my head.

-- 08 Aug 2014, 12:28 --

Also, I'm ALWAYS early for things, so I've learned to always have a book on hand wherever I am. I'm always surprised how much reading time I can squeeze into a day!
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Return to “Writing Discussion”