Write but don't read

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
hatefacecore
Favorite Author: Gail Dayton
Favorite Book: Snow Falling on Ciders
Bookshelf Size: 0

Write but don't read

Post by hatefacecore »

Does it seem strange that I write fiction novels but I don't really read any books. If I had more time, I may do a bit more reading but I devote any and all free time to polishing and perfecting my novels. I'm sure that if I did read more books, it would benefit my own writing.
vshableik

Post by vshableik »

I write but I don't usually read. Well I do, I read the type of books that I would write but I don't read the rest of them. Your case is a little different than mine, but it makes perfect sense to me. You've built up this story in your head, why would you want to read about someone else's fiction when it might distract you from your own?
Mkeyth

Post by Mkeyth »

Same "problem" here. I write but don't read. mainly because of lack of time. However, when I'm jogging, walking or riding a bike I listen to audiobooks.
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

Yeah, time is a big factor. And when you enjoy writing more than you do reading, it's hard to schedule in reading time that could be used for writing.

The only time I read now really is just before bed. I sneak in a few pages on nights when I don't fall asleep the moment my head hits the pillow.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I recently heard this very suggestion being put to an award winning author & I thought her response was interesting ..... she said that in her opinion a writer who does not read is like a gardener who doesn't use mulch. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

Fran wrote:I recently heard this very suggestion being put to an award winning author & I thought her response was interesting ..... she said that in her opinion a writer who does not read is like a gardener who doesn't use mulch. :lol:
Yeah, I agree, as bad as I am at it. Stephan King said something similar, I think. Something along the lines of he who does not have the time to read lacks both the tools and the time to write. I try to do an off/on approach. Write a book, read a couple books, write a book, read a couple books.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

It's obvious the art of reading and writing are two different things. People will read many different books for many different reasons, but they write to express themselves. The trouble with writing and not reading is that one risks becoming stale. As with anything, the more you learn, the more expert you become.

It has been said that if you read someone else's work, you soon realise the uniqueness of your own work. And I like to think that's why most great authors know an awful lot about other authors books - a finger on the literary pulse.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
louisgeorge

Post by louisgeorge »

No....if you are not a great reader,you can't be a great writer..so in my point of you..you should also a good reader .
Un-Break My Heart , Un-Cry These Tears , Say You Will Love Me Again
AmandaRose

Post by AmandaRose »

I find that reading (and by reading I mean anything; it could be a book, magazine, article, etc.) helps my writing tremendously. Even if you think you know it all when it comes to writing (which will never happen), just being subjected to other styles of writing will help give you ideas and even teach you. I am all for both writing and reading because they compliment each other.
lanscot

Post by lanscot »

I admire that you can do so
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

Not all writers read, when I used to wrote I didn't read. But now that I've started reading, I write less.
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

I don't have the patience to read much for entertainment now. I rely on the books I read when I was younger.

I also don't read much in order to avoid accidentally copying an idea too closely.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I think that most writers at least read books within their genre. Myself, writing modern private detective novels, read Robert Crais, Bill Pronzini, and others.

I admit to never hearing of someone who doesn't at least read within the genre.

But if you can, go for it. Understand that I don't read the "competition" for tips -- I read for the pleasure of it alone. Perhaps you just don't gain pleasure from reading? If so, don't think you need to therefore read as an assignment.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Seems to me that if you don't read, you don't stand much of a chance of knowing what others will want to read. If you only write to hear yourself talk, that's not a problem. But if you're writing for others to read it, I would think you would need to read, to have some idea of the current market, in the same way a computer programmer needs to keep current in his field or risk being left behind.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I read all the time. When I'm out somewhere and therefore can't write, I read. I do feel it helps me when I write.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Return to “Writing Discussion”