Write but don't read

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: Write but don't read

Post by eelavahs-jay »

A lot of writers are able to write without reading. In fact writers are usually so caught up in their own world that there simply isn't time to embark on a journey in another's. However, I believe most writers go on a quest to tell their own tales after reading something. That should count for something. I'm of the belief however that avid readers make better writers.
Clydevazquez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clydevazquez »

If you are not a great reader, then you can't be a great writer because reading books will enhance your knowledge and will helps to your writings. So try to give some time for reading as well.
Victor Rose
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)

Post by Victor Rose »

I admit I don't read much for pleasure and I especially haven't read new novels in a long time. So most of the avid readers here would call me a none reader. However, I have life full of different and unique experiences and still spend a large percentage of my day reading, just not novels.

So is reading required to write. No. But, without reading or a very well lived life your stories might lack a since of authenticity. Simply put to write you need experience. Either you go get it in life or from books. Personally I prefer a mixture of both.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yes indeed, reading makes your writing polished. You can explore more styles if you read a bit
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Hmm, all I can say is that you are depriving yourself of a lot of good material and exposure to different kinds of writing. In my opinion a broad reading base comes in very handily in my story telling. Crossing genres often adds a depth to a story that others simply do not have. How can you do that if you are stuck in one only? How can you truly develop your own voice if you limit yourself so? Me, I read everything I can. I am here on OnLineBookClub because I get to read free books, tons of them, and I'll spend a day and write a review. I see this as helping myself to learn more about writing. I see what works and why, I see the pitfalls others fall into in their stories.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Maybe you can try reading short fictions, like those within 1 to 2 pages?
I sometimes feel guilty not reading much when I write, because I'm not sure what I write well and not well.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Just writing without reading any book! That's uncommon for sure. But I read.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Some people have a knack for one or the other. Sure I think it'd help if you read more too, but there's nothing wrong with writing by itself.
Folcro

Post by Folcro »

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you, but I can't say I don't read per se; I read articles, forums, short stories. I've started many novels but to an overwhelming extent don't finish them. A big part of the reason is that I want to create my own worlds, my own stories. The second I enter someone else's world I often say "I miss my own."
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

To each his own but I personally feel that being a habitual reader definitely makes me a better writer. Reading exposes me to different writing styles and new vocabulary. I also improve my grammar and punctuation when I see a writer using punctuation in a certain way and I apply it (with research of course) to my own writing.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I really admire the writers who are not readers, I mean it's got to be pure talent right? I only became I better writer after I became a better reader. Just imagine what those non-reader-writer would be able to do if they started reading.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Julia Hanna
Favorite Book: The Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Julia Hanna »

As the skill of speaking can be developed by improving the skill of listening, the skill of writing can be developed by improving the skill of reading. I believe that the more we read, the more we acquire the skill of writing. We learn more vocabulary, a variety of sentence structures, different topics and life issues, so it expands our knowledge. That is why I think that reading helps us to even enhance our way of writing.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I read more than I write because I know I need that. When you read, you get ideas, inspiration, and it allows you to analyze what to do and what not to do. When I write more and read less, I tend to be stuck. To get myself out of that hole, I read.
human reader

Post by human reader »

I suggest finding at least one author with books similar to what you want to write. That way you can learn from them and be inspired by them.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I do believe that in order to be a great book writer, you need to be a great book reader, too. If you write a book without knowing what a great book looks like, then how will you know how to write a great book?

That being said, I know it's hard to find time to read as an adult. Though I sped through books when I was younger, as I got married and started working and whatnot, I found I wasn't reading much anymore. The way I solved this was intentionally scheduling time to read every day, even if it's only 30 minutes or less. I look forward to this time so much!

Reading books can only help your writing, and it will help you a lot. I encourage you to read as much as you're able to!
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost

Return to “Writing Discussion”