Looking for writing prompt suggestions

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-library-dragon.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Looking for writing prompt suggestions

Post by Library_Dragon »

I'm writing multiple short romance books and am stuck. As someone who has had few relationships, all failures of epic proportions, I have little to no idea what makes a healthy relationship work. So I ask you guys to help me out here with ideas.

What kind of situations are everyday with relationships?
What are common problems?
What are nice little surprises to receive from your partner?
What are things you like to DO for your partner?
Funny situations you've been in?
Activities or date ideas?

Pretty much anything you guys could think of I would appreciate the help and feedback!
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

I'm gonna TRYY to throw out enough ideas for you to maybe get insp from one:

1. teaching animals to do stuff that annoys the other. i taught my dog what "GET HER" means in relation to my mom, so she now bounces on her to wake her up when i want something. ha, whoops.
2. arguing on places to go. you could maybe take insp from a kind-of-famous post that said something along the lines of a couple creating a game: they number 20 places to go, in best to worst order. then they roll a die to see where they go. they roll a critical failure and are too stubborn to back out of it.
3. date/activity ideas: blanket fort, babysitting together, breaking stupid laws, playing hide and seek (then one person getting stuck in the place they hide), picking out a pet together, nerf gun battle, trying stupid DIYs (please look up the jeans chair tutorial).
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Have you ever thought about writing romantic fiction from your point of view, or based on your ideal situation/desires? Sometimes it can be hard to base a storyline on somebody else's interpretation instead of writing what you know. Just a thought! Everyone requires something different to maintain a healthy relationship, so it can be tricky to answer your questions. I think just being in a partnership where you feel heard and supported is the most important thing.
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:

Post by Library_Dragon »

I have tried that but I dont really have any experience to right about. Like what activities people do, etc. I only know what isnt healthy in a relationship and I work from there.
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:

Post by Library_Dragon »

Teddy
Thank you!!! I'll be sure to use at least a few of those. Especially the dog one!
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

A healthy relationship is all about communication! Honestly, all of my relationship problems have come out of keeping things from my partner. Sometimes it's stuff we don't think about (e.g. I have unvoiced expectations for the night, and he has different unvoiced expectations for the night), and sometimes it's big stuff that really puts us through a rough time (e.g. not expressing how I felt about a recent tragedy because I was worried that he would get sick of me being sad about it). Plainly, there's a lot of fear in being so vulnerable and intimate with someone. This fear can manifest in so many ways and really get in the way of things!

Also, a healthy relationship needs respect. Everybody has boundaries, and a partner needs to know not to cross those or test them unless given permission. Some of them are person-specific (e.g. my partner knows that I have certain trigger phrases to avoid), and some of them are often unspoken general boundaries (e.g. if it's a closed relationship, you don't go around sleeping with other people or seeking out other forms of romantic emotional bonds). Sometimes boundaries that a person might put up are due to past traumas or anxieties, and boundaries will look different depending on one's expectations for a relationship (e.g. a summer fling vs. a lifetime commitment). Furthermore, sometimes boundaries are unhealthy. For instance, jealousy is a good thing in a relationship! It often indicates that something might be wrong. However, some people take it to an unhealthy point such as setting up boundaries that dictate their partner's social life. Another example of an unhealthy boundary is when someone uses temporary boundaries to punish or manipulate their partner for things that could be resolved with communication (e.g. "you're not allowed to share ____ with me until you apologize!"). Other times, these boundaries that seem unhealthy (such as the previous example) are indicative of a serious problem and tie back to respecting your partner (e.g. refusing to finance your jobless partner's hobbies or addictions because they've been essentially mooching off of you).

Sorry, this was a lot to read! And this wasn't even the tip of the iceberg... there are so many factors that go into a healthy relationship!
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:

Post by Library_Dragon »

ElizaPeaks Thanks! It is really helpful! My issues so far have been emotionally manipulative partners, but this is all advice I'll take into thought from now on!
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I didn't know what I was missing until I read this post. I have learnt alot here. Thank you!
Books are beautiful.

Return to “Writing Discussion”