What's your favorite genre?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Geneen Karstens
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What's your favorite genre?

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I like thrillers, but I like historical fiction the best. I like to read about other countries history but with a story line that makes it more interesting. I also like some romance novels, but I'm picky in that genre: it has to have a good story line.
Siolastre

Post by Siolastre »

As a writer I tend to stick with paranormal, urban fantasy and sci fi, sometimes with a strong romantic element and sometimes not. I tend to read a lot of that genre, but I also read ina lot of other genres, just don't write in the. THough who knows what tomorrow might bring.

What I've found I love writing is stories that explore relationships and that doesn't always mean romance, though it can. But I also like writing fiction that explores reactions and consequences, if that makes sense.

Siolastre
nice girl
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by nice girl »

thriller
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

I've only written 4 books, and I always thought fantasy would be my 1 and only, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
1 was an anti-bullying memoir
1 was a fictional contemporary war-action
2 are part of an eventual 6/7 book series and is fantasy

Other things have planned are historical fiction, romance, and sci-fi.
KenLang

Post by KenLang »

True crime... only because it's what I know. Not that I'm a criminal, I am a detective and have investigated rapes, robberies, and murders for almost 15 years. For me, the writing process came easy with my books because they were my actual investigations even though I wrote them to read much like a 3rd person novel. Now I'm getting ready to start writing mystery/thrillers. Hopefully my experience will be a huge help.

-- 06 Dec 2012, 17:38 --

Having been a detective most of my career and investigating rapes, robberies and murder for nearly 15 of those years you can only image that I like writing true crime. But I do it in a different way. I like writing it in 3rd person and giving it a novel feel; my readers really enjoy it, commenting how it feels like they are right in the scene.
JK Moss

Post by JK Moss »

We've all got what makes us happy. That is what makes reading so great. All the choices. I read for an escape. I prefer fantasy and have since I was a kid. Those are the ones I look for and enjoy the most. Its natural that those are the types of books I write. I love it and most all sub types. Keep reading.
jamesgreen

Post by jamesgreen »

dragons and wizards ...i prefer this
BlueRaven

Post by BlueRaven »

To me it usually depends on the mood I am in, so I write a little bit of everything.
emmawatson026

Post by emmawatson026 »

My favorite genre is realistic fantasy and thriller
Schonaye242
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Too many to name just one.
Currently Reading: Lost and Found by Jayne Ann Krentz
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Schonaye242 »

My favorites genres are mystery and thrillers.
Quincy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quincy.html

Post by Quincy »

For the most part I like writing fantasy in an urban setting, with some secret world in the background that nobody knows about.
KaraRose

Post by KaraRose »

I really love magic, so mostly fantasy books are in my personal library. Other genres of mine include romance, mystery, and especially suspense, but I try to find a fantasy novel that incorporates all of that!
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

Nansie wrote:As a writer, do you have a favorite genre of writing? Can you write about anything or just the thing you do best?
I can write about anything. Literally. I just need to research the subject a bit before I write about it as I feel stupid writing about something I don't know the facts about. I also never try to be an expert on anything, just someone trying to figure things out in my writings.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
prasadkunala

Post by prasadkunala »

My favorite genre for writing would be thrillers as well. They tend to draw me into writing and give me better perspective of how to write the story with more enthusiasm.
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

I really like speculative fiction, and that is what I like to write. I like things with an element of fantasy or science fiction or something not quite possible in reality. I haven't spent much time trying to write anything that deviates from this. I think I could, but would find it a little dull.

Return to “Writing Discussion”