Writing a book

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
fjwallace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writing a book

Post by fjwallace »

I am writing a book (hopefully) that I have been working on for two years. My characters seem a little boring. Any tips on how to liven up my dialogue and actions. It is a fantasy, by the way. And I have re-started it several times. I keep second guessing myself. How do you, any of you, get yourselves out of this quagmire?
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Frisca »

For me, I think of my characters as a mixture of characteristics of people I've met and those that I know as pick their good qualities for the characters I like and the bad ones for the enemies. It's also mental inventory of people I like and don't like ;]
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I've been there. Started over and over and over... finally I just decided to keep going. If it's your first book, you can't expect that it will be the best work you ever complete - it takes practice. Just keep going on this and don't look back until you're 100 pages in. Then reread what you have and make tweaks if you feel necessary.

I often get into the trap of using way too much dialogue. A great author can take a whole conversation and put it into a look or an action. Try keeping your characters engaged in actions that either cause something bad to happen, or that will at least make the plot move along. If you're bored from your own book, you might be getting caught up in too much detail.

Get your story out there and onto the page. You can always help it grow, but creation has to come first.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Give each of your characters a dominant personality such as smart, joker, serious, curious, helpful, friendly, quiet, scared, etc. Have much of what they say or do start from that perspective and then branch out as needed or naturally comes out.
Ndehani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ndehani »

Know what your characters are before writing them picture them in your mind like he is a hero the other is the villian and write according to their persona
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I usually try to picture the dialogue in my head as if it were in a movie. Reading the dialogue out loud in the different voices of the characters also helps. If you're constantly stumbling over what the character is saying then you probably need to redo the dialogue but if you're able to say it with ease then your dialogue is fine. For characters, I'd do what most people on here already said, focus on a dominant part of the character's personality. Don't make the character only that personality because that takes away from them being more fleshed out but it's ok to rely on tropes like the rich boy with a heart of gold, or the morally gray thief, etc., so long as that isn't their only personality.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

There are a few different aspects here. First, get the story down on paper. I think the massaging of the mix of diagloue vs. narrative vs. scene description etc can be ironed out in the subsequent drafts. What has helped me is remembering that life is imperfect. I have a tendency to make my heroes always good and the villains always bad. contract, conflict, mistakes, those are what will make the characters start to come alive and become more vibrant.
Folcro

Post by Folcro »

I find that the best litmus test for how boring something is, is how much I enjoyed writing it. If you had fun writing it, it may not matter how many swords parried or dragons decapitated, the reader will have fun reading it.

As for characters, the best way to tell how boring they are is to gauge how different one character us from the other. Throw some scenarios at them (not neccesarily scenarios that they will actually face in your story) and ruminate on how each character would handle said scenario, and what is their reasoning for handling it in that way?
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Every chapter I write, I get my partner to read it aloud back to me. It really helps hearing someone else read it out loud to find snags in the writing. I find it especially useful with dialogue because I don’t use dialogue tags. Give it a try if you’ve got someone you feel comfortable giving your work to.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

Character identification and introduction is a very important aspect which needs to be exercised well before writing a book.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

My tip is that try to listen to real conversations by people around you. I watched a TED-Ed video about that. Maybe you can look that up and watch it.
Rodel Barnachea

Mr_Wimbaum wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 20:07 Every chapter I write, I get my partner to read it aloud back to me. It really helps hearing someone else read it out loud to find snags in the writing. I find it especially useful with dialogue because I don’t use dialogue tags. Give it a try if you’ve got someone you feel comfortable giving your work to.
This is nice and quite smart. But not all of us have partners, haha.
Rodel Barnachea

KS Crooks wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 09:26 Give each of your characters a dominant personality such as smart, joker, serious, curious, helpful, friendly, quiet, scared, etc. Have much of what they say or do start from that perspective and then branch out as needed or naturally comes out.
This is a good tip for beginner writers. I find that assigning your character a dominant characteristic would lead to a dominant role they will play when conflict arises.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

I just find in my characters some real people that I like or dislike. The way to make your stories more interesting to read is not include too much dialoges. The dialoges really make stories boring. It's better to show the character's view to the situation.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I think you should first go back in time and picture the you had design your character to be. Then read other people stories in order to learn different character development then try to absorb the ones you think will go along with what you want from your character.

Return to “Writing Discussion”