Do you write in paper anymore????

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: Do you write in paper anymore????

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

lunablue_x3 wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 15:49 I complete several drafts in longhand before entering everything into the computer. Once I arrive at the computer stage, I find I often overwork my stories. Still working to adapt to the computer, as I formerly trained myself to write all my final drafts on an electric typewriter.
This is how I write when I was in high school! I don't know why but before, I cannot focus on my writing when I use my laptop.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

sevencrows wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 11:40 I write on my computer, but if I'm editing, I have a compulsive need to print so I can highlight and write comments or changes in hand.
This is a nice tip for better spotting errors. Unfortunately, we don't have a printer so I'm stuck with editing on my computer.
madberna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madberna.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by madberna »

If I was writing something short like notes or ideas, I'll write it on paper but if it was something long, I use my laptop.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I change my mind tens of times about my novels, so my first few drafts are always on papers. Once I am satisfied with the plot and how things go, I write a fnal draft on my computer.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

When the notes are important to me, I prefer to write on the paper it helps me get focused.
bre2014
Favorite Book: The Stolen Heir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bre2014.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by bre2014 »

I started my writing journey on paper, then switched to mobile/computer. Every now and again I go back to paper, especially if inspiration hits and I don't want to lose it.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

rarely, but I still write on paper sometimes.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I definitely prefer writing stuff down on paper first. I have several sketch books that I use as notebooks because I feel that they give me more freedom than typing, or even using lined notebooks. Plus, they are generally sturdier and hold up better to abuse. Added bonus, they are highly portable!
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I always prefer writing on paper, it just feels like there's more weight to it, but it's definitely much less efficient so it's probably not sustainable all the time
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I have A LOT to say about this. I love writing on paper. Love it. Absolutely love it. I also respect my computer because it has gotten me through so many thick and thin, but the paper is the love of my life. I have accumulated and filled and used over thirteen notebooks of jibberish, dreams, ideas, reflections, and short story ideas. They may never be seen by anyone but I loved them when I wrote them and when I look through them I see how I grew from a young girl into a young woman. That is the representation of time and age in this physical realm. The internet/computer may be forever, but the paper will always be the truest, most gentlest source of expression to me.
Olatoye Treasures
Currently Reading: Automic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Olatoye Treasures »

Writing in computer is very good but it can be limited, but for paper you can write on it anywhere you are.
I rather write on paper then transfer it to computer
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I like to write notes by hand, it just feels really good whenever I do that even though I don't even know why. However, I type everything through my laptop now. It's just more efficient, faster, and neat.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

I will always, always prefer paper. Whether I am writing or reading novel, paper has always been the preferred thing for me. I will always write down my first, second and third drafts and only type out last.
D Franklin Pack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The secret teachings of all ages
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-franklin-pack.html
Latest Review: The Elephant(s) in the Room by Denny Laake and Monica Laake Beavers

Post by D Franklin Pack »

After reading these posts, I may have to either start writing on paper or see if I can find a typewriter. My problem with a computer is that it is too easy to make revisions and I often find myself changing repeatedly what I have already written. If I start writing on paper or a typewriter, it will be harder to make revisions and help me move on. Has anyone else seen where writing on paper helps with this problem?
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I have observed that when I try to write with paper, the writing would be lethargic. But on an electronic device, when I just tap the first button, the next contents I need to write just keeps flowing in. I personally don't like writing with paper again

Return to “Writing Discussion”