Ideas And How To Stick To Them?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Nicsighs-ss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Ideas And How To Stick To Them?

Post by Nicsighs-ss »

I'm new here, and I would like some advice on 'Sticking to my story' I love to write and try to start writing a book, but I will get writing on it and Writer's Block will hit or I think of something better. Does anyone have any advice on How to focus on the topic? Or, How to add the New idea to the Story I'm writing?
Heidi alvarez
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Heidi alvarez »

I think you should have someone where quiet to write or somewhere where you feel comfortable writing don’t force it. When you feel it it will come too you.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I'd only write when it hits you to write and to write as much as possible. Like the above said, a quiet place can help. Try to get as much of the story out and written, and don't worry about spelling, grammar, or structure until the story is made.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

I find writing is mostly habit. Try writing everyday even if it’s only lists of things your characters have done, this actually trains your brain to come up with good material more often. So don’t give up. I find sometimes when the “writer’s block” descends, taking a really long walk can help.
Writing a book is no easy task, it takes discipline. I wish you the best of luck.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

I agree with Alyssa. It's like anything else you will only get better. I really struggle with the same issue. I've discovered writing prompts as a warm up. There a several prompts lists you can use. Write for ten minutes as a warm up. Just write!
mplaunty
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mplaunty.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by mplaunty »

I can relate. I have a ton of ideas rolling around in my head and once I get to a certain point, it all just falls flat. I really like and appreciate these suggestions. I can't wait to try some of these out!
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I always advice any write out there to have a draft created from your ideas. Writing a story can be related to making plans to build a house. You plan each stage beer you move to the next else you end up jumping up the most beautiful concept. So, if you have an idea, stick to it with the draft of how to develop it.
Dr_ollayemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-ollayemi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dr_ollayemi »

I think you should just focus on writing anything and everything that comes to your mind at first. Do not mind whether they correlate to the plot or not, just keep writing. Once done jotting down the ideas, read through and start accepting or discarding those ideas that do not fit in quite well into your storyline.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Writing is a discipline. It takes hard work and perseverance to get it done. It took me over 4 years to finally finish my novel. Just keep at it. Force yourself to write. If it’s crap that’s fine. Just write. Edit later. It gets easier and more like routine when you just do it
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Alyssa wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 08:48 I find writing is mostly habit. Try writing everyday even if it’s only lists of things your characters have done, this actually trains your brain to come up with good material more often. So don’t give up. I find sometimes when the “writer’s block” descends, taking a really long walk can help.
Writing a book is no easy task, it takes discipline. I wish you the best of luck.
I agree with you.

Return to “Writing Discussion”