Fan Fiction

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Fan Fiction

Post by MelMariah »

Hellooooo,
Are there any fan fiction writers on this dear forum of ours?
I just begun writing some, it's more difficult than I thought and I absolutely love the media i'm writing about :lol:
Perhaps some tips? Or usernames on the fan fiction site if you're a member?

Xx
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MandiKenendy »

I wrote quite a lot when I was younger and still occasionally write some now. My advice would be don't get disheartened. In any fandom you will find some die hard fans who cannot bear to read anything that is not completely true to the cannon and go crazy if something diverges. If you love something enough to write about it then write it. It's all about taking characters where you never thought they'd go.

What fandom do you write in?

I started reading x-file stuff right back in the day and now mostly write Suits fanfic.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
MelMariah

Post by MelMariah »

Yeah i'm just writing about True Blood because it's a TV show I love very much and they haven't released the next episode..
Katk1424

Post by Katk1424 »

I'm just starting to think about writing some. Been reading loads of Teen Wolf stuff and now want to write my own!
MelMariah

Post by MelMariah »

I can honestly say, It's way harder than I imagined.

And I imagined it to be pretty damn difficult.
MandiKenendy

Post by MandiKenendy »

I think what makes it so difficult is that the characters have already been created so you have to stick to them. I find it hard sometimes when a character has been on TV and you have to write things as if they are thinking.
Katk1424

Post by Katk1424 »

I agree - very difficult. Still trying to get up the courage to post what I've written so far :shock:
MandiKenendy

Post by MandiKenendy »

If you're finding it difficult, you should try and get a Beta reader within that Fandom. They will help you with the characters in that specific fandom and you can bounce ideas off them.
novelwriter
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Favorite Book: The Rainmaker
Currently Reading: Kill Shot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelwriter.html
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by novelwriter »

I write fanfiction myself. It helps me when I am trying to do a long story. My stories are based on Enterprise and Quantum Leap. Does anyone write fanfiction for those shows? I did one where Sam leaps into Capt. Jonathan Archer from Enterprise. That was a tribute to my favorite actor Scott Bakula.
MandiKenendy

Post by MandiKenendy »

I've never written it but I used to read trip/archer fic. Was one of my favourite pairings for a while.
Wibblywobblygw
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wibblywobblygw.html

Post by Wibblywobblygw »

I love fanfiction, and it seems to me that fan-based works are some of the most amazing things ever. I used to write some fanfiction, but I haven't in years. My base tip would be to enjoy yourself, but I'd advise that for any writing!
pattersonjohn514

Post by pattersonjohn514 »

Fan Fiction is a popular way that writers show their enthusiasm for their favorite books, characters, authors, and even comic strips, films, and television shows. However, writing your own stories about someone else's characters can be an infringement of copyright violations. Many authors believe a fine line exists between creativity, fair use, and creative thievery.

--------------------------
Patterson John
bed bugs
bed bug bites
oddy1113

Post by oddy1113 »

The other definitions here completely trash fanfiction . Fanfiction is when someone takes either the story . Off of independent works based on corporately owned entertainment calls into question .
sarahnichole92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnichole92.html

Post by sarahnichole92 »

There are many published fanfictions out there, which always makes me giggle. My personal favorite is Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

However, I do love fanfiction dot net quite a bit too much =3
Zain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain.html

Post by Zain »

Good old fanfiction ... yes, I have some great memories and from time to time I still indulge myself. There's some great stuff out there, and then there are works which just make you groan in agony. It's actually funny that some people see fanfictions as child's play, considering that many authors started out there with their career. Take Cassandra Clare for example.

And I can't let this slide ( since I worked hard on a guide in the past which compared fanfiction writing to "normal" writing in different aspects such as character development, plot, genre...):
Fanfiction is a creative, personal contribution by a fan for fans which is based on a source media.
I've heard people refer to them as plagiarism or blatant stealing of copyright-protected ideas. It's not that easy - the authors put a lot of personal contribution in there, and give their best to create something exciting and explore territories rarely tread on by "mainstream literature", e.g. bipolar disorder, anorexia, etc.

If that's not someone's cup of tea, I totally understand that. But it would be unfair to degrade fanfictions in such a way. I fell in love with one particular fanfiction and until today, I consider it the best work on PTSD I have ever read. Since then, I've become an avid defender of fanfictions :)

Return to “Writing Discussion”