How on earth can an author forget their character's names?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: How on earth can an author forget their character's name

Post by Fran »

janebeth92 wrote:I've never experienced this issue before, but I have come across awful editing (grammar mistakes, spelling errors etc.) and it makes me want to become an editor so I can fix these problems. One book was so bad that it actually was missing 14 pages. They weren't ripped out or anything, they were just completely non-existent. It was hard to finish the book, as those 14 pages held some vital plot information. The thing is, no genre or style or publishing house can escape from this amateur editing. Small publishing books have it, big publishing books have it, you can find it anywhere! So frustrating.
Just curious but how did you know it was missing 14 pages? Fourteen pages sounds to me more like a printing error than an editing error and I would definitely be demanding my money back.
I remember once reading a book that had a page in the centre inserted upsidedown - can't remember what the book was but I remember being a bit bemused by it. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I know that writers often change character names late in the publication process. It's possible that the writer isn't even responsible for the mishap; it could have been the publisher/editor who accidentally left the original name in the piece. (It seems more unlikely that it could happen in modern works with the 'Find and Replace' tool available in most writing programs, but I guess it's still possible if an editor decides to manually replace every old name with the new one.)
lily-mack
Currently Reading: American on Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-mack.html

Post by lily-mack »

As a reader, I can remember two instances that really shocked me. In 'The Spellman Files' everything was going along fine...until the very end, when the wrong brother's name was used as the perpetrator. :oops:

Even more 'amazing' I have a first edition of 'A Thousand Cuts' where the author's name was incorrectly spelled on the inside title page. I notified him, but he was already aware of it and said the 'next' printing would be corrected..... :shock:

As a freelance editor...I see this quite often...and have to question the author. Also, in one work I just completed, two of the character names were Julie and Julia...no, not twins or even sisters...or even on the same continent. I recommended that the author change one, but have yet to have a response.

Lily Mack

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." - Alexander Pope
enshafer2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enshafer2.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by enshafer2 »

It's plausible but definitely not excusable. I understand that authors write a plethora of different stories a year. Yet you should be able to distinguish between the characters in your own story no matter what! I think forgetting things like this is a sign of laziness. One should make some type of effort to familiarize themselves with the works. I simply makes no sense to me otherwise.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I just recalled today how in one book Kaitlin suddenly from then on- turned into Katherine! That is the kind of ridiculous mistakes I mean.
Gillshutt

Post by Gillshutt »

It's possible that, after the book was written the author decided to change the name but didn't go back through the whole thing properly... and didn't use find and replace button. I've often changed a character's name for one reason or another. However it's just sloppy editing for no one to have noticed.
As for jibe... that's the right word to use not jive. Jibe means to agree with, to be in accord with.
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

That's pretty bad, I agree. I know as I've written, I've occasionally changed characters' names after I've written quite a bit. But then, I make extra sure that all of the instances of the old name are updated to avoid just such a confusing and ridiculous situation. A simple find-and-replace along with a good thorough read-through is all it takes.
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." -- Voltaire
blue82

Post by blue82 »

I have never come across this myself, but it would certainly frustrate me. Some plots can be complicated to follow, which appeals to me, but if I had to try and decipher which character I was currently reading about due to a sudden name change, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to continue.

However, I am now intrigued to come across a book like this, although I fear I may regret saying that!
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

This is a little different, because it's not a mistake, but I also don't like when characters in a book have many different names that they are refereed to as and we are supposed to keep that all straight. Or, when multiple characters have very similar names and we're supposed to remember who is who. Sometimes these things work, but often, they just add frustration and confusion.
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." -- Voltaire
LadyStardust
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Shining
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by LadyStardust »

That would drive me batty!!

I'll admit that sometimes I change a character's name well into the editing process, and "find and replace" doesn't always take care of them all. But I can't imagine a mistake that big making it all the way to the finished product!
"An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men." ~ Thomas Fuller
missy michaels

Post by missy michaels »

Several months ago I checked out a book from the library and the author named two totally different female characters with the exact same first name only a few chapters apart. The first time he sued the name he was describing a wife who had passed away. The next time he used it to name a waitress. I noticed it immediately, started flipping back to verify that I really saw what I thought I saw and when I did I was a little disappointed by that.
ssjuice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssjuice.html

Post by ssjuice »

That's Crazy! Ive Never Had That Happen But I Probably Wouldn't Read From That Author Any Longer!
dndgeekgirl
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dndgeekgirl.html
Latest Review: "Killer Tip to Manage Stress-Related Neck Pain at Home with a Secret Ingredient from your Kitchen" by Geekay

Post by dndgeekgirl »

It could also be an issue of the author re-naming a character, either post story or midway through writing, and not catching one or more mentions of the name.
Latest Review: "Killer Tip to Manage Stress-Related Neck Pain at Home with a Secret Ingredient from your Kitchen" by Geekay
LolaC
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolac.html
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr

Post by LolaC »

Sometimes it would depend on the status of the character. For main characters, it would be terrible as we become more attached to them. However for minor roles it would be plausible. It should not be condoned but I guess you can see how it could happen.
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr
Enchanting_Song
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enchanting-song.html

Post by Enchanting_Song »

Remembering back on reading the Harry Potter series, I wasn't surprised to find out that J. K. Rowling actually keep files of the characters' info, like names, bios, associations. I believed she even cross referenced this collection of data as the series grew, keeping up with what happened in which book. With the numerous connections to be made and keep the series moving, that filing system must have been a real Godsend! Without some dedicated system, I wouldn't think it would be hard at all to switch around characters' names and identities, or just forget them altogether! In fact, it would be exceedingly easy!

Return to “Writing Discussion”