Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Re: Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Post by Dayodiola »

Catreeves16 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 12:49 I have had my nose stuck in a book since about 4 years of age. There is no doubt that I love to read. But does that mean I HAVE to be a writer, too? I have tried to write stories, blogs, journals, etc. for the last several years, but cannot ever seem to stick with it. I feel like I can't flesh out story ideas, or what I do write sounds ridiculous. Is it okay to stick with reading and reviewing? Do you read only or write only?
Persistence is the key, try again and again until you see changes.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I believe you should go with your inclinations. I love to read far more than I love to write. I find that there's a passion for both; it's just stronger for reading than it is for writing.

In short, just be yourself. Just do You.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Catreeves16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catreeves16.html
Latest Review: No Reprieve: by Inge-Lise Goss
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Catreeves16 »

I definitely prefer to read! I suppose writing book reviews is right up my alley!
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I have always been an avid reader. I could write a book if I tried but reading is much more fun.
amelyjcob
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amelyjcob »

Research has found that when children read extensively they become better writers. Reading a variety of genres helps children learn text structures and language that they can then transfer to their own writing. In addition, reading provides young people with prior knowledge that they can use in their stories.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Yes! Someone told me before that reading is breathing in and writing is breathing out.
Beckygithui1994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Beckygithui1994 »

It is true that not all readers can be writers. Writing is an art that cannot be mastered by all, but writers do need to read to build on their material for when it eventually pours out of them.
Fire_KAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-kat.html
Latest Review: Go Forth from Where You Are by Tova Herman

Post by Fire_KAT »

I think it's perfectly okay. We don't all have to be writers if we love reading, and favoring reviewing over storytelling is just fine. In fact, your strengths may lie with some types of writing and not others. I feel trying out other things is a great way to find out what you're best at. From the sound of it, you may be more comfortable critiquing things or recording thoughts and opinions about things, and that's what makes you perfect as a reviewer. I usually trying spending equal amounts of time both reading and writing. Lately, it's mostly been reviewing. But I've started some stories as well. Good luck with future reviews! :D
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

Well, what do you consider "a writer?" You don't have to write professionally just because you like to read. That would be ridiculous. But as a reader, there's clearly something you enjoy about the written word. You may find that when you take away the judgement about whether your writing is "good" or if others would like it, then writing becomes fun for you. You may find you like journaling - writing for you and you alone just for the heck of it. Or maybe not. That's cool too. It will leave you more time for reading.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

Reading can give you imagination, a wider perspective, and a good sense of phrasing probably but it can't offer you the joy of writing. I know many addicted readers who can't spend a day without a book but never writes. I discuss with them many of my stories' ideas, but that doesn't mean they need to be writers. I myself do read and write, however, I am not a skilled writer or anything.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Koltrast wrote: 15 May 2020, 12:07
Folcro wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 00:39 People who love movies don't necessarily have to be directors, but with writing being such an accessible enterprise (all you need is pen and paper), it can be tempting to at least try it, but don't surrender to cognitive dissonance if you find you're not interested enough.

On the subject of "rediculous," one advantage I've had was that I started at an early age, (11) an age where I was oblivious to how rediculous what I was writing was (and it was rediculous); the point of this is that the most important thing you can do as a budding writer (if you are so inclined) is to just write. If you have the passion, the rest will take care of itself. Either way, keep reading.
I wholly agree with this. You can like photos without wanting (or having) to be a photographer. You can enjoy music without having to be a composer, you can like paintings without needing to be a painter. In the same way, you can love reading books without ever wanting to write a single word, professionally or otherwise.

As for the other way around, I believe it's helpful for writers to also read a lot. I am tempted to go so far as to say it's even vital.
Your explanation summed up everything. I agree with you.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

There are might be a sort of relationship between them, but I believe they don't go hand in hand.

What happens sometimes is that we force ourselves to believe that we can be good writers just because we read a lot. But that's not true
silvertricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 290

Post by silvertricks »

I've always loved reading, even from back when I was a kid. My requests for birthday and Christmas gifts were books and more books (and Lego sets but I digress).

In primary school, I liked writing random poems too and thinking up stories to write. There's this time when I made up a new world with characters and names and creatures and I really wanted to turn it into a novel. I tried it writing the story when I was in 6th grade. I was maybe a third of the plot but then I graduated and then in highschool I stopped writing that specific story. I still wrote but it was more on editorial and feature pieces for the school paper.

Right now, I sometimes write fanfiction but I never post it anywhere.
ref89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ref89 »

Reading plays a huge role in life. Books help you learn something new, keep up a conversation, or show off your erudition in a company. One of the most common tips for aspiring writers is to read a lot, and while this is generally correct, improving your skill level requires more than just passively browsing and reading many pages.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Some people are better at one or the other. I don't think it matters which one you do or if you do both. Love that you love reading!

Return to “Writing Discussion”