Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Catreeves16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catreeves16.html
Latest Review: No Reprieve: by Inge-Lise Goss
Reading Device: 1400699894

Reading vs. Writing - Are they always hand-in-hand?

Post by Catreeves16 »

I have had my nose stuck in a book since about 4 years of age. There is no doubt that I love to read. But does that mean I HAVE to be a writer, too? I have tried to write stories, blogs, journals, etc. for the last several years, but cannot ever seem to stick with it. I feel like I can't flesh out story ideas, or what I do write sounds ridiculous. Is it okay to stick with reading and reviewing? Do you read only or write only?
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I have tried to write in the past, it didn't turn out so well. I was never satisfied with what I wrote, specially with the flow of the story and the descriptions of the emotions.
I love to read though, but I don't believe that not writing makes me a worse reader, or one whose opinions shouldn't be considered. It's completely okay sticking with only reading.
uaebasi
Favorite Book: Tales from the Aether
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uaebasi.html
Latest Review: Becoming Nobody by Rick Branch

Post by uaebasi »

I don't believe you have to be both a reader and a writer, they don't need to go hand in hand. I do think that you need a certain respect and knowledge of the two in order to understand them individually. I admire people who can write and articulate, hence why I'm a reader and not a writer.
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

People who love movies don't necessarily have to be directors, but with writing being such an accessible enterprise (all you need is pen and paper), it can be tempting to at least try it, but don't surrender to cognitive dissonance if you find you're not interested enough.

On the subject of "rediculous," one advantage I've had was that I started at an early age, (11) an age where I was oblivious to how rediculous what I was writing was (and it was rediculous); the point of this is that the most important thing you can do as a budding writer (if you are so inclined) is to just write. If you have the passion, the rest will take care of itself. Either way, keep reading.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

uaebasi wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 20:22 I don't believe you have to be both a reader and a writer, they don't need to go hand in hand. I do think that you need a certain respect and knowledge of the two in order to understand them individually. I admire people who can write and articulate, hence why I'm a reader and not a writer.
I would second that. You don't need to be a writer because you are a reader. The two are completely different. Reading is something else and writing is something else. However, I believe that if you do want to write and succeed as a writer then it is PARAMOUNT to read, read, and read! Reading is very important for writing, no doubt in that. All good writers are first good readers!
bunmiolu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmiolu.html
Latest Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Post by bunmiolu »

The best way to write well is to read a lot and practice writing. There is a strong relationship between both. Writing becomes much easier for someone that reads a lot when compared to someone that hardly reads.
Jane Redmond
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-redmond.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jane Redmond »

Not necessarily, but I like to do both as they compliment or another, and the more you do of both is going to stand you in good stead. We used to have to read our stories aloud in a fiction writing workshop I attended for a few years, this was very helpful for me as the story really felt different and gave me more insight into where I wanted to go with it.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

I love reading as well. But, I do love writing also. I believe you can be a reader and not a writer, but not the opposite. Writers have to be readers. Stephen King talked about it in his book On Writing. I can map it back to when I've been most creative and into writing - I've been reading a lot. There will always be an exception, but I think in general to be a good writer you have to read a lot.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

I consider myself a voracious reader, but I couldn't write a beautiful prose to save my life. Writing doesn't come naturally for me.
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Folcro wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 00:39 People who love movies don't necessarily have to be directors, but with writing being such an accessible enterprise (all you need is pen and paper), it can be tempting to at least try it, but don't surrender to cognitive dissonance if you find you're not interested enough.

On the subject of "rediculous," one advantage I've had was that I started at an early age, (11) an age where I was oblivious to how rediculous what I was writing was (and it was rediculous); the point of this is that the most important thing you can do as a budding writer (if you are so inclined) is to just write. If you have the passion, the rest will take care of itself. Either way, keep reading.
I wholly agree with this. You can like photos without wanting (or having) to be a photographer. You can enjoy music without having to be a composer, you can like paintings without needing to be a painter. In the same way, you can love reading books without ever wanting to write a single word, professionally or otherwise.

As for the other way around, I believe it's helpful for writers to also read a lot. I am tempted to go so far as to say it's even vital.
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

Not all readers are writers. However, writers are also readers. It helps them grow and improve their skill. I've tried writing and I have potential but I prefer to read more.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Not for me. I have read a way lot of books but when it came to writing i struggled and with struggle i mean i had no unique idea of my own even after reading so many books.
Folcro

Post by Folcro »

Barbie_sidhu wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 01:34 Not for me. I have read a way lot of books but when it came to writing i struggled and with struggle i mean i had no unique idea of my own even after reading so many books.
If that's the only thing you feel is holding you back, I would keep at it anyway; let the river flow and the fish will come eventually.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I definitely don’t think they go hand-in-hand. I write far more than I read. I often see other writers reading several books a month, I’d be lucky to read several books a year.

That’s not to say I don’t love reading, because I do. I just enjoy writing more.
nisayvx

Post by nisayvx »

For sure! No reading, no ideas to write about. If you want and like writing you have to read. Moreover, reading improve your imagination, you gather new ideas, new perspective about life. Me, for example, when I read something I make notes, especially about beautiful quotes that I found in the books, novels, and so on.

Return to “Writing Discussion”