How did you learn to write well?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: How did you learn to write well?

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I really like this topic. I read a ton. Through writing reviews I am really learning how to be a much better writwr
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

I think the more you read the better you get at writing naturally.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

The best answer to this question is that am still learning to write because I do not think that I write well. But, I learn more from other books, and that is one of the reasons that I like to read.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Eastwood wrote: 11 Feb 2007, 12:52 kaytie, I don't know you yet, but I think you're my heroine: You took the words directly from my mouth! Very well-put.

One thing I would like to suggest is to read June Casagrande's Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies. It's absolutely hilarious and gives us what we need to grow as writers. I frequently rank the books I read (in my head) and never has a self-help book reached the top 5...until this one. Also, Stephen King's On Writing is an excellent read. Not stuffy and it gives an all-around overview of writing, IMO.
I enjoyed Stephen King's book too. He gave enough advice without sounding snobby. I think the restraint he showed in keeping the book concise was excellent considering his books :lol2:
Thanks for the book recommendation. I will add June Casagrande's book to my to-read list.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I think writing is a function of being an astute reader. If you love reading as a hobby, writing naturally comes to you. I personally read everything I came across growing up. When I started writing later in life, I realised that as I just held the pen, the words keep flowing.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

To be honest, I started writing well when I joined online book club. It gave me the avenue to read a lot of books and review them also. Doing that made me realize a lot of grammatical and spelling errors people make.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I started writing well when I began reading people's books and noting down all the spelling errors associated. I also began to use spell checks to note down errors associated with those write-ups. This gave me an insight and a clear understanding of errors associated with writing.
Brittany Tatman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-tatman.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by Brittany Tatman »

No one is an expert firstly, so don't let any writer no matter how many books they've published tell you any different. It's a continuous journey, and while I did go to school for it, the majority of what I've learned has come from practice, practice, practice. Just like those in law and medicine opening up "practices," the art of writing is as fluid as language itself.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

The skill of writing directly comes from reading. The more you read, the more your vocabulary enhances, and it gives a professional look to your writeup. Viginia Woolf said, "Read a thousand books and your words will flow like a river." Seems that's it. :tiphat:
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

There are only three rules to writing well. Practice, practice, practice. Or as the golfer, Jack Nicklaus, is supposed to have said "The harder I practice, the luckier I get."
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Developing my writing skill is something I'm very passionate about. I am a decent writer at present, but every time I read an exceptional piece of writing, I will sigh. At present, I am trying to write 1000 pages in a hundred days just so that I won't be afraid to face an empty page. I can write anything. So, I have three projects: filling up a whole diary (300pg), creative writing (300pg), and copying my favorite writers' works(400pg).
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”