Classic Literature in Modern Times?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Classic Literature in Modern Times?

Post by slj3988 »

I'm working on a novella set around either 1800s London or earlier. Possibly Renaissance Italy. Using classics such as Dickens, Stoker, Conan Doyle, Stephenson and Wilde for inspiration, I am wondering what the best way to form the language is. To make it feel authentic, I want to write the story as if it came from that period.

My question is, would such language or structure by accepted by publishers today? Although, it should appeal to modern readers, I don't want it to read in modern language. I want it to feel like something unearthed that could've been published back then. For certain words and terms of phrase to be understood, they might need altering. But there's also the tone of the era. It wouldn't be authentic if I were to censor terminology suited to the time. For instance, Bram Stoker's Dracula has Jonathan Harker refer to folks beneath his station as "peasants." This is something that wouldn't pass today.

Although, it is going to be in 3rd person and less subjective, is there a middle-ground or is it best to avoid writing in that style altogether?
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I think the best thing you can do is write the entire novel in a more modern style, but use some terms and language of the time. The hardest part will be getting the speech correct. The educational level of the characters and their vernacular will give an authentic feel to your story.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think writing a book in old(er) English would be easier than writing a book in any other language if you don't also speak or read that language. I would suggest a linguist, a historian, or even someone who makes films to try to get the language right. I meet foreigners who think I speak English very well - I actually do not speak anywhere near to proper English. Even proper, proper English might give your book the feel you are looking for.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

I think it's important to understand that, just like publishers nowadays are selective in what they publish, so were publishers back in the day. People always had many ways of speaking and slang is an aspect of language that dates back to the Neolithic Revolution. That is to say that authenticity has leeway, especially if you want to massage your classical language with subtle hints of modern dialect.

Also, and perhaps I'm biased as a self-published author, I wouldn't worry too much about what publishers think. That era of big-house-dominated literature is falling by the wayside.

Return to “Writing Discussion”