Do writers need a personal website?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cam_gold
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Re: Do writers need a personal website?

Post by cam_gold »

I have been thinking about having a personal website for some time now. Thanks for the information.
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

I think so. I like to see any type of business show an interest in me, the customer (reader). A personal site shows you care enough to bother, and allows you to connect to readers more personally.
tpierone

Post by tpierone »

Im a inspiring author and i just have a facebook page. it lets my family and friends know what things are coming and details about my writing.
Paul_metto
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-metto.html

Post by Paul_metto »

I tend to think that developing an online presence i.e on the social networks has become a prerequisite for a modern, however a personal site goes along way to giving your followers a specific place to find your content. A personal site is a vitality.please get one.

-- 15 Apr 2014, 08:40 --

I tend to think that developing an online presence i.e on the social networks has become a prerequisite for a modern, however a personal site goes along way to giving your followers a specific place to find your content. A personal site is a vitality.please get one.
tobeywilson

Post by tobeywilson »

My pen name has a blog. I enjoy putting little writing samples on it and kinda creating things around it. I know pen names are kind of archaic but I'm a Geology Major and i don't want any fans i may have in either discipline confused.
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

The agreement seems to be 'yes' a writer needs a website. As an aspiring writer I have a website (but not my own domain) and a couple of blogs. The website was created for a school project several years ago but I have used it for my writings and other things as well. It would be nice to turn it into a more focused author site but I'm not sure how to do that. My blogs are pretty much devoted to my writing and they are where I post most of my book reviews (in addition to Goodreads, Amazon, and other sites) At one time I wrote for two ezines and have links to both on my website along with links to my blogs. Any suggestions on organizing a website for professional use?
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
bookstra

Post by bookstra »

As I'm new to this forum I was scrolling through some of the older topics and then came across this dicsussion. I absolutelty agree with the statements of the majority over here: a personal website is a good way to promote your work and these days it seems to be growing even more importance. All the same for social media.

One thing I'm currently struggeling with is the domain name. I know there are tons of free hosts out there, but you always have the hosts name in your url + there might be some additional advertisements that show up to visitors. To organize my website a bit more professional, I've been thinking to buy a domain name. A friend suggested me to buy a domain name at [removed by Mod], but I also want to look into other options. How do you all feel about buying a domain name? Do you think it adds value or do you think a good personal website can also be made with a free host?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think writers should have a personal website. It serves to help them build their brand and when you build your brand, you sell more books. Also it is just a way to connect with your readers and let them get to know more about the person behind the book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
wroteyou

Post by wroteyou »

I think absolutely. I've found having a personal blog has helped hugely. First of all I think almost any creative person must have a portfolio online nowadays--just with the way technology works people want quick access and also it's a good place to represent yourself as an author with photos. People also share artist and their work online. On mine I also have some links to readings I've done and I've connected it to my Youtube channel and Twitter so all my platforms link together. I might not use my blog as much as I do my other social media but I think it's one of the most important for communicating who you are as a writer and your work. It's pretty easy too, I won't use this as an opportunity to self-promote, so I'll just say my wife has done the same recently and she found this article series really helpful: 1and1.com/digitalguide/hosting/blogs/ti ... ng-a-blog/. She said it was a really great resource for starting up a personal writing blog / website.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I think a personal website will enable you to get feedback from your readers globally.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
tmazonga
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by tmazonga »

A personal website is absolutely necessary for promotion and publicity.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Yes, absolutely. You need to have either a blog or a personal website. Also, it is important to create a website for each book that you release with a custom domain, so that you can link to that when you are promoting the book, with the landing page showing the price and the "Buy Now" option.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

I'm really really late on this but YES. You definitely need a website these days. It helps push your online presence and will also give your readers a place to visit. Remember, they will love your stories and need to catch up on what you are writing next.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I believe that in this age of instant information, yes a writer should have something of a web page up. I have one and it is focused on the how to of writing more than on any of my Fiction. I figure as my stuff gets out there a bit it will change to reflect that or I will have a separate area for fans or followers. but I honestly like sharing what I have learned along the way.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Having a website sounds like a great idea!
You can not only put your own stories on it, but also prompts, personal opinions, tips for writing for other writers... the possibilities are endless!

Return to “Writing Discussion”