World Building: tips, tricks, and advice

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Maggie21Wussow
Currently Reading: The squad killer spirit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie21wussow.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

World Building: tips, tricks, and advice

Post by Maggie21Wussow »

When world-building what is something you believe is imperative? Also what is your pet peeve from books with underwhelming worldbuilding?
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

To have a greater knowledge of their world than the characters or readers see. To also understand that where the characters go can be different than the rest of their world.
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

It's difficult for me to secure a "pet peeve" when it comes to worldbuilding; some stories may not demand that its world be so fleshed out, like Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon; but even in that story, King leaves plenty of hints that the world stretches far beyond the story.

I think that ties into what I feel to be imperative: just give the reader the sense that this story is taking place inside an organic, breathing world.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I think the most important thing is to give enough information and background in your world and the characters within it, but not so much to overwhelm and be superfluous
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

I think it's important to give enough details to make it clear what is possible in the world you've created not so many that the reader gets bogged down with endless descriptions.

Return to “Writing Discussion”