What do you like most about book reviewing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Re: What do you like most about book reviewing?

Post by Imperio »

I love the challenge the most. I think I have a tendency to write verbose reviews because I am used to writing critical essays that require a lot of analysis. For this reason, it is new for me to write an informative, yet informal, review. I hope to get better so if anyone has any tips, let me know. :)
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

It gives me and "excuse" to read. I can pick books that I may not have chosen before. I have provided feedback to friends who have written and published books. This is a more formal way to inform both the author and other readers what I find in the book.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I get to read from so many different genres and authors. I can explore new things. The least I can do for such an opportunity is to give helpful feedback to the wonderful authors that give me the chance to explore the many varieties of books.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

The fact that I can understand how different writers think. Since I believe the books are the actual representations of the thoughts of the authors.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am constantly improving my writing skills, and this helps me in my job. Also, I am exercising and refining my English, since it's not my native language. Most of all, I love that I get to read a lot of interesting books.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

Knowing that I am reading this book for a review had really improved my reading skills. I've learned to observe and pay attention to many details I wouldn't have seen before. Now, even when I am reading a not for reviewing book, my brain works in examining, analyzing and keeping notes of every idea. This is my favorite part about reviewing.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

suegibson4 wrote: 21 Jan 2014, 08:28 I learn a lot about writing while reviewing. While I'm dissecting another author's work, I can't help but think about my own work in progress. Many times while I'm pointing out how a particular area of an author's work affected me, I realize how I might improve my own.
Same!
The book is important, the plot is also very important but to me it's about writing the review. Can I find my knack and write a review that helps others figure if this book is for them or not.
I do not like how I write currently, but I feel that with each review I'm getting a little better. And sometimes I fall two steps behind and it feels upsetting. I wish I could use a magical pen to write better. But oh well, no one has invented that yet... So I just have to get better at my own pace.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Interestingly enough, I like the fact that I have to go over the book in detail, versus just reading it quickly. I used to want to become an editor, and while reviewing is not actually the same, I find that it is currently close enough to feed that old bug of mine.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

i first started as just a hobby to gain extra knowledge but know its a part of my life and my sense of peace is reading and giving a review about it and also i get paid isn't that great .😉
Harshinittu
Currently Reading: America Dies - When Based Upon Lies
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Harshinittu »

:) I am happy that I would be helpful for the author and for the readers who might purchase the book based on my review
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I like to help out the readers to find the book of their choice and the authors to improvise. But that's a half-truth, I also like to review for selfish reasons, the fact that I get to discuss a book after I finish it is just so satisfying. I don't have many reader friends so reviewing is like a release for all the things I want to say about the book. Otherwise, I would have gone mad talking to myself late at night about my favourite book for hours.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I love the fact that not only am I reflecting from what I read, which allows my learning to expand, it also enables me to give feedback and criticism to those who need it.
Lovinmaui
Currently Reading: Go Forth from Where You Are
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovinmaui.html
Latest Review: He Goes Out Weeping by David A. Fiensy

Post by Lovinmaui »

I've only reviewed one book so far and my review was apparently not that good, so I have a lot to learn. I've read 2 other book and am now trying to write the reviews, but I think I'm over-thinking it. I feel stuck and so afraid that it won't be good enough... again. Do ya'll have any tips or tricks for me? I really want to keep doing this; keep learning; participate in something bigger than myself; get back to the fun of writing, and of course learn more about this awesome community. Thanks so much. I appreciate the support and tips you may have. Aloha from Maui!
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

Being able to help authors with full honesty without fear of offending or being too harsh. I love how it gives me the chance to speak my mind and assist. It means I am trusted to give constructive feedback the authors and the reader can grow from this.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

I love a lot of things about being a reviewer here but what I love the most is the fact that I'm learning. I used to think I was a good writer. I registered here and thanks to all the editors and their constructive criticism, I realize I have a lot to learn. I have decided to dedicate my time and focus to becoming a better writer and it's all thanks to this platform!.

Return to “Writing Discussion”