Favorite time of day to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
oderog
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Favorite time of day to write?

Post by oderog »

I would prefer to write in the morning, during morning hours level of concentration is very high the out is of high quality as compared to other time of the day
SalenaParker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salenaparker.html

Post by SalenaParker »

Honestly, any time of the day (or night) is perfect writing time for me. I just have to be in the "writing" mode. :)
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
fav_author_id: 6670

Post by deanfromaustralia »

For me, it's when my kids go off to school and my wife goes off to work.

My day job is actually a night job, so any time I can get a few hours in during the morning, I take it.
"...You think that's air you're breathing now?"
KateStofer88

Post by KateStofer88 »

I used to like writing in the afternoon and always gave myself a list of what I needed to work through. Unfortunately it didn't always work because one day I'd whizz through everything and the next i wasn't too interested in doing anything. Then I had my daughter and as she got bigger and more mobile, I struggled to find time to write. Now I've got a routine and do a little bit every day throughout the day, mainly first thing as she's fascinated with CBeebies, during her naps and once she's gone to bed. I can actually get a lot done once she's not demanding my attention and now I only work three days a week I have more time to do so.
Nadezda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadezda.html

Post by Nadezda »

tstaf4d wrote:I prefer waking up early in the morning before anyone else is awake and writing until I either get tired, or I have gotten just a little passed where I wanted to end. Comfortable quiet is what helps me the most so I cannot get much done until those early hours.
Ah, I wish I were a morning bird.

But unfortunately my mind seems to get all inventive at night.
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

Early morning and late night. When it's quiet both inside and outside.
Jennifer-Hamilton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-hamilton.html

Post by Jennifer-Hamilton »

I can write at any time, mainly whenever I have a free moment from work. I prefer writing either during the day on buses, mainly as a way to block out the other passengers or late at night when everyone else is asleep.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

My favorite time is early in the morning with natural light on a weekend without rush and feeling like i have all the time i would like (specific right)
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

I was going to say around 11PM-6AM but then I realized that's usually when all of my housemates are asleep. When I get lucky and have the house to myself around lunchtime up until late afternoon, I can write then, too. Most times it depends on when I'm alone or could be that I'm comfortable with the company so I can also talk and discuss with them while I write.
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

Very late at night (or very early in the morning depending on who you ask) is when the best writing happens for me. That time when everything quiets down and settles in the for the night is when I can really focus and get into my stories.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

Evenings, of course. I've done some of my best writing in the wee hours, but not without having to once again reread and edit. Odd how the simplest typos and editing mishaps show like bright lights the next day.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

sherlyholmes wrote:Just as the subject says! I prefer to write in the late hours of the night...er, morning. I love to write at midnight or sometimes later at about 2 to 3 in the morning. When do you guys like to write?
I'm pretty close to you.
Any time after 5pm is bearable but 11pm-4am is perfect. :)
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

I am a morning writer. My brain works best at that time of day. I must admit that when I get 'on a roll' I can write for hours. I also like to write and meditate outdoors.
jennyontheblock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyontheblock.html

Post by jennyontheblock »

me, in the afternoon while tending my small business...I get used to distraction...
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I love writing when it's dark. So, from ten to about four in the morning! Things flow better when I'm not thinking straight. :P
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Return to “Writing Discussion”