Do you ever feel like not writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Abigail09
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 4

Do you ever feel like not writing?

Post by Abigail09 »

I have realized the strong connection between thoughts and writing. Even when I feel mentally tired of writing, thoughts (inspiration) fly in at that exact time/moment, making me want to pen something down.

So, I want to know.
Do you ever feel like not writing/mentally tired of writing or its just the physical exhaustion for you?
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I sure do. I like to take a break after writing a novel. It usually stems around me not wanting to edit yet. For the next three to five weeks I read and record any ideas that come to me. I'm not a professional writer or plan to be any time soon, so I don't treat my writing as such. I compare it to physical training. I do so on a regular basis, but I'm not a professional athlete so I don't need to train week in and week out.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I have these times a lot. I have times of strong inspiration and it then just seems to block. In these times I feel depressed, but I try to focus on reading or walking in new places... This is what gives me new ideas and inspires me always.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I do think that our mind has limit, if you overcome that limit while writing, you will that at end your writings won't be as good as they should be.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Ya somedays. Its like, somedays i overthink and tell myself that if I don't write my words properly and anyone could read it and interpret it wrongly , and could make the wrong moves and i don't want the blame on me. You get my kinda overthinking?
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Abigail09

Post by Abigail09 »

aby johnson wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 07:45 Ya somedays. Its like, somedays i overthink and tell myself that if I don't write my words properly and anyone could read it and interpret it wrongly , and could make the wrong moves and i don't want the blame on me. You get my kinda overthinking?

I get your overthinking . I'm an overthinker too and it can be excessive for me sometimes.
Abigail09

Post by Abigail09 »

emidio125 wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 16:30 I do think that our mind has limit, if you overcome that limit while writing, you will that at end your writings won't be as good as they should be.

Definitely. Its just that most times my writings come with deadlines and those deadlines don't care if I don't feel like writing. So even when I don't feel like, there is a deadline to meet up with.
Abigail09

Post by Abigail09 »

Lhammamy wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:17 I have these times a lot. I have times of strong inspiration and it then just seems to block. In these times I feel depressed, but I try to focus on reading or walking in new places... This is what gives me new ideas and inspires me always.

Perfect! I'd give that a try. Thanks for sharing
Abigail09

Post by Abigail09 »

KS Crooks wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 12:53 I sure do. I like to take a break after writing a novel. It usually stems around me not wanting to edit yet. For the next three to five weeks I read and record any ideas that come to me. I'm not a professional writer or plan to be any time soon, so I don't treat my writing as such. I compare it to physical training. I do so on a regular basis, but I'm not a professional athlete so I don't need to train week in and week out.
:tiphat: :tiphat:
AlfieDupont
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlfieDupont »

This is something usual for me!
FrostBytez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by FrostBytez »

Yep, when I'm tired I usually don't want to write, but then something suddenly just clicks in, and sooner or later I get the motivation to write back.
Knock Knock
lionelpenn3
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 262

Post by lionelpenn3 »

Does definitely happen to me at times. Could also possibly be due to the amount of information that comes our way on a daily basis from various sources. Makes me feel like, hey, just let the others write instead... I'll probably write another day. But its good to get past that fleeting feeling.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Abigail09 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 04:07 I have realized the strong connection between thoughts and writing. Even when I feel mentally tired of writing, thoughts (inspiration) fly in at that exact time/moment, making me want to pen something down.

So, I want to know.
Do you ever feel like not writing/mentally tired of writing or its just the physical exhaustion for you?
Yes, I understand what you mean. It can be so hard when you feel like you don't have something good to contribute or you are not a good enough writer to make an impact (those are the thoughts I have at least).
It is nice to know there are other people out there who struggle with that. I just have to remind myself that it takes practice, time, and dedication.
-Thea M. Frederick
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

There are a lot of times when I don't want to write, and it usually comes from a lack of confidence - especially during the editing phase. I am usually fine once I can get over the hump and actually start writing, though.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Writing is a fun challenge for me. If it's not fun or more stressful than it's worth, then I don't write.

Return to “Writing Discussion”