Grammar correctness in dialogues

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Grammar correctness in dialogues

Post by emidio125 »

Do you think that it's compulsory to use grammar accurately while portraying character's dialogues? Or it depends on the way the author designs his own character.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Using grammar incorrectly in speech is very common. Giving characters a consistent way they use grammar can be a way to differ their speech from other characters. Misusing grammar can also be a good way to show emotion. When some people are very angry or very sad their language changes in choice of words and pattern of speaking.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think the way a character talks should be accurately portrayed by their dialouge. If that means it's grammatically incorrect, so be it. Most people use a surprising amount of incorrect grammar when they're talking every day.
I agree with KS Crooks that if a character misuses grammar, it should be done fairly consistently.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

I'm willing to forgive a lot of things so long as they're clearly the direct thoughts or words of a character. I wouldn't mind them sacrificing a slight bit of authenticity in favor of proper grammar if the alternative is frustrating to even read, however.
Rabiul_tanmoy250
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rabiul_tanmoy250 »

Some kind of grammar mistakes is taken normally. The meaning remains the same that's why it's not mandatory to find these silly mistakes. But if the meaning of any sentence changes badly then it should be corrected.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Not at all. I don't even like following grammar rules in my prose either if it messes with the flow of my writing. As long as it makes sense it's all good.

Return to “Writing Discussion”