Outlines?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
asw525
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Currently Reading: Fated by Alyson Noel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asw525.html
fav_author_id: 2912

Outlines?

Post by asw525 »

Who else uses outlines when writing a book? Every time I go to hear an author speak they say how the characters write their own world and I'm just sitting there like "I outline...that never happens..." Is it bad thing? Do you do it to? Let me know, thanks!:)
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I try when I feel stuck sometimes. It only ever helps so much though. What helps me to keep the story moving the most is to make up the next chapter in my head as I'm going to sleep. Maybe you could consider that an internal outline?
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
rines
Favorite Author: Various Authors
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights and Grimm Reapings
Currently Reading: Solitude Vampire Hunter D others
fav_author_id: 10588

Post by rines »

Always.I always use outlines when writing. Mainly because the chaos of a creative mind can be hard to understand if you don't write stuff down...or worse you might lose an idea you thought you could remember. Maybe what you're not hearing is that the author outlines their characters too.I know I do, and it makes them come to life when I do it. Having a character that you know things about isn't the same as having a character that is alive...I'm sure you've read the books where you sometimes forget you're not reading about a real person. They're just that real. When I make my characters, I write little back-stories for them that would explain the mannerisms, behaviors, and personality of them and their job if they have one. I give them ages, nationalities or species and all the thoughts that make people we meet real to us everyday. I told one of my friends this once-In your story, you are god. You control everything that happens within the story, to the character and even more-within the characters. I hope I haven't offended anyone by that statement but, it just really helps to see the world as your own when you can see yourself as its creator. Helps to make it real to you, and through you to other people.
Devon Drake
Favorite Book: Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut

Post by Devon Drake »

Yes, I outline when I write. My villains often have elaborate plots that I can't improvise throughout the writing process. I like plot twists and those need to be planned out in advanced too. But character reactions...those I just kind of...let it happen. I always love it when a character I created surprises me just by having a sincere reaction.
GliddenBooks
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gliddenbooks.html
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel

Post by GliddenBooks »

Half and half - my decision to outline or not is usually heavily dependent on several factors:
1. My mood and general level of enthusiasm, 2. Whether or not my current work is fictional of factional, and 3. How comfortable or invested I am in the timeline and flow of events. I think that outlining is a great writing tool, but not imperative to a degree that makes or breaks a writer's success. Everyone has their our style and process , figure out if outlining works for you and either ditch it or use it: but do both with secure enthusiasm.
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

For me, it's an iterative process I guess. I let the characters guide the story, but it quickly becomes complex enough that I need to write down an overview of what is happening. This also helps me spot problems. If I change the outline, I can change the characters' behavior, although not in a mechanical way. (For example, changing the plot might suddenly result in a character's appearance changing on me too.)

I think you can get a good book either way. Some people are more intuitive, others are more methodical. We've got to glean what we can from the other personality, but yet rely on our strengths.
asw525
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Currently Reading: Fated by Alyson Noel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asw525.html
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by asw525 »

ALRyder wrote:I try when I feel stuck sometimes. It only ever helps so much though. What helps me to keep the story moving the most is to make up the next chapter in my head as I'm going to sleep. Maybe you could consider that an internal outline?
Thanks! I'll try that tonight:)

-- 28 Jan 2014, 00:02 --

Thank you all so much! I feel so much better about my writing now!:)
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

rines wrote:I told one of my friends this once-In your story, you are god. You control everything that happens within the story, to the character and even more-within the characters. I hope I haven't offended anyone by that statement but, it just really helps to see the world as your own when you can see yourself as its creator. Helps to make it real to you, and through you to other people.
Although I believe in God, I am not at all offended by this quote. Nor would it offend Dorothy Sayers, a Christian and author of the Lord Peter mysteries. She wrote a book called The Mind of the Maker. I have not read it, but would love to get my hands on it, since I hear it is about how the creative process gives us insights into the nature of God.
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I've heard plenty of authors talk about the highly-detailed outlines that they develop before they start writing the actual book - so don't worry if that works for you, because you're in good company!

I've found (only 3 mss so far) that I need to start the story first. Once it's underway, then I reach a point at which I have to stop and at least jot down the crowding ideas for what will happen en route to the climax - clearing my mind that way helps with writing the rest and making sure that an idea or necessary plot point doesn't get lost in the shuffle. It tends to take the form of a list, rather than a traditional outline, but again what's important is what works for each writer.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

Each writer's process is different. I find an outline to be helpful, especially if the story is complex. If, as I'm writing, the characters evolve and their stories move in a different direction, it's nice to have an overview so I can see the evolution of the story as a whole.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

I've never used an outline and been satisfied with the end result. At the very least, when I start writing, I have a vague idea of something that is happening. At most, I have a hazy idea of how I want it to end. But things very seldom turn out that way, with the characters evolving and doing their own thing, mostly.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I found that I'm about average regarding outlining -- I create a general outline, maybe 1-2 pages of bullet points or quick phrases that describe the novel's arc.

This turns out to be mid-point compared with most novelists. Some outline in great detail, some don't outline at all, but most create a modest outline, and this is where I fall.

Understand, I'm writing mystery novels, and with a mystery to be solved, I need to plot out clues and story elements in fairly precise detail. So I need a general outline for this, so I can keep the clues straight. If I were, for example, writing a mainstream novel about someone "finding himself" then I might not outline very much at all.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Post by avatarofrozein »

I mostly just jot down some major points then have at it. I'm not very good at following anything rigid. and working with brief outlines suites my writing better.
Liza_Howe15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-howe15.html

Post by Liza_Howe15 »

I normally outline because I can't just think of the main idea or the plot right off the bat. It takes me quite a while to think of things.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I just plot out the big events that will take place in my book and the events that force my characters to grow. It takes time but for me, it's worth it because I find out early on what works and what doesn't and which scenes seem better where. If during the writing process, I think of something good to include then I'll just include it. It's not a rigid planning but a guideline for the flow of the novel so I know and remember what has happened and what is supposed to happen.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Return to “Writing Discussion”