Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by Lhammamy »

I became a more quiet person after I discovered my love for writing. It was like I just started discovering my true self after it. Although sometimes I'm thought to be a more active person, but I am a typical introvert that finds herself cozy at home with a piece of paper and a cup of coffee.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I think I'm both, however, there's a reason for this. Before I learned that I loved reading and writing, I was a talkative person. And I still be. But after I discovered this other side of me, I felt the need to speak less.

Writers usually talk with their letters, texts, paragraphs and books. I do believe that their are not introvert people, what happen is that they have so many things to say that they prefer to write books, so that every thought they have is known by everyone.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

In the past, I used to think that writers were quiet. But now I do not buy that if a person is quiet is because of the personality of that person. I great writers who are very extrovert and others introvert as well,
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Linda wrote: 28 Jan 2007, 18:22 yea im not quiet at all unless i just have no idea who you are...and even then i might start a conversation with you. but def. after everyone drinks they are more willing to put themselves out there and talk. i've heard i get louder lol but when i actually am i the process of writing i find i really rather be by myself. i HATE when people try to look at what im writing.
A lot of this is me.
I love love love conversing but I get shy around strangers and warm up to them minutes later. I am always loud I feel but never has anyone complained.
And I definitely hate it when people try to peep into whatever I'm writing. I so disliked the teachers who'd be lurking around while I'm writing the exam. It made me feel awful.
Can't I write an exam in peace!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Millene2004
Currently Reading: Chasing the Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millene2004.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Millene2004 »

I love to write and I'm definitely not quiet.
DarellHershey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DarellHershey »

As a person with hyperacusis (hearing sensitivity) and ADHD, I really am a quiet person and I also need quiet places to write. I'm not that much of a talker so I just write everything. When my wife and I became parents it was a struggle at first because of the crying and all the stress but I somehow learned to channel that to my writing and I've been writing a lot better. I am also wearing earplugs now made by Big Ear. They are custom made with filters and stuff. It's a must-have for me.
Quinton Lester
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinton-lester.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Quinton Lester »

I am a very quiet and shy person. I started writing poetry to express myself, to say the words that I wouldn't say out loud. It took me years to open up and start sharing my writing even now I still hesitate to
SavvyWriter36
Currently Reading: Health tips, tricks and myths
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savvywriter36.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by SavvyWriter36 »

Not necessarily. All writers may not be quiet people but to be an accomplished author you must be loud with your thoughts and express them creatively and clearly.
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I dont think that all writers are quiet. I am a quiet person and I have so many thoughts, feelings and opinions on my mind that I would find comfort in letting it all out by writing; which is something most people do, I'm sure.
Elisan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisan.html
Latest Review: Memorie di un consulente di direzione by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Elisan »

I write, and I'm a quiet person too. I know there are writers who are "Very Social Persons", and love writing in public and in noisy environments, talking to others about their work. I'm not so, I need silence and solitude.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Writers, like philosophers, have to have time alone to themselves. I am outgoing, but I have to have alone time to myself sometimes.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I am an introvert and yes, I'm a quiet person. I usually express myself through writing.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

I must agree that it seems that most writers are stereotypes as being "quiet", as being introverts themselves. Although, this may not be tru for all: stereotypes exist for a reason. It may be that the writers we encounter or know of may be reserved creatures, but it raises the fallacious argument of "The first cat I saw was a black cat, all other cats that I've ever seen are black. Hence all cats must be black."
A simple argument, yes, but it does have its pitfalls.
But I am veering from the point, I tend to do this.
I believe that most writers are quiet beings because it is in their nature to be observant. Being observant means taking a step back in order to see the bigger picture (or in the writer's case, to write the full story). Think of being a protagonist in a novel, as the reader one is more often than not exposed and privi to information that the protagonist is not. This is the writer. The writer is the omniscient narrator, the all-knowing creator of the novel (at least in certain genres).
Thus, if the writer is to more fervently participate in life, they would, in a manner of speaking, not be able to objectively remove themselves from a situation in order to see the fuller picture that is playing out before them.
Most writers are, inherently, observant creatures. Hence, they need to reserve themselves (be quiet and to some extent exhibit introverted qualities) in order to give the fullest account of a story (again, depending on the genre).

As a mental health professional, and an introvert with a rare personality on the MBTI (INFJ), I can confirm suspicions that introverts tend to be bubbly and outspoken in the correct circumstances. If an introvert has a fuller trust in a person or smaller group of people, they tend to be as social as any other. It also has a lot to do with where one receives one's energy from: the extrovert receives their energy from being around others and become depleted by being alone, the opposite is true for the introvert as their energy is refreshed by 'alone time' and they are depleted if they spend too much time with others (this does not reflect that the introvert is not fond of people, it is simply just how the energy works and not personal... mostly). One also has the ambivert, who holds a balance between the introvert and the extrovert, a topic for another time.

See, the thing with the introvert is that they tend to be good listeners. Silence is something that tends to make people uncomfortable, and in that discomfort we often attempt to fill the void that the silence leaves by speaking. The more the speaker receives "small rewards" in conversation, the more likely they are to feel heard. If one feels heard one build trust and rapport. If that is present one feels safe enough to reveal oneself to a quiet, seemingly, attentive listener. This is an incredible tool for an author, building rapport with people to learn their stories. It allows the writer to write more realistically and more authentically about real characters and real situations.

To continue my suspicions, I believe such introverts find a way to externalize what they rarely say to others through alternative methods, such as writing or other artistic methods.

To support you idea that writers are quiet and introverted, I pose the above ideas.

As an introvert I was a writer even before I was a reader, simply needing to vent my thoughts, ideas, and emotions into a space where I felt they would be safe, not judged, and received.

Not all readers must be writers...but I would pose the idea that all writers must be readers.

I hope I did not ramble too much and made sense in some way or another.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

Truthfully, I'm considered a quiet person by many. Well, maybe except online. I can count the number of friends I have on one hand and I never interact except if the conversation is absolutely necessary. I know a lot of writers that are introverted by nature, but I've come across extroverted authors too.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I am actually a quiet person as a writer. I keep to myself most times to keep the flow of creativity. Most writers I know are quiet too. But I have my own extrovert moments though

Return to “Writing Discussion”