Does your family blow off your writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Re: Does your family blow off your writing?

Post by lisalynn »

My family is wonderful. My husband allows me private time to write, and never complains about me doing it. My parents, siblings, and children all beta read for me and make helpful suggestions. I couldn't ask for a better audience. I have some writing buddies who have to sneak writing time. It makes it very difficult to enjoy the process.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I wouldn't say blow off per se, but they aren't interested either. My in-laws won't read anything unless it is deeply spiritual and about improvement in God's eyes. And my own family is too self-invested to be into my writing. Thankfully, my husband is my biggest encourager, and even if he isn't interested in the subject, he'll still read it for me.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

My family has always been very encouraging of my writing and my interest in literature, thank goodness!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

My family blows off everything I do, so my writing is nothing new. I ignore them and do what I have/need to do with my life. Who really cares, as long as I am doing what makes me happy. :banana-dance:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

While my family supports my writing, my husband is an attention hog, and 9 times out of 10 when he is home and I am writing I have to stop because he thinks that when he is home I should be up his rear end the entire time. It drives me nuts!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
sharonearly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharonearly.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by sharonearly »

You are not alone! When you work from home, especially for women, the entire family just sees that you are there at home. They don't think about the fact that you are working. They also have little or no idea what you are working on or why you can't restrict your "work" to the hours when they work or go to school.
Just keep on keeping on, Write when the inspiration takes you. You have to be firm with your family about your work time. Talk to your hubby about how serious you are about being a writer and that you need his active support just like you support him and his work.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

My family used to blow me and my stories off. They have changed that somewhat however. My wife is a strong supporter and one of my daughters asks me about my work on a regular basis.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I haven't shown my written pieces to my family, actually! I genuinely think they don't care about the content of my writing or with me writing. They probably know that I am writing, but I don't intend to show it to them in the near future.
Rodel Barnachea

clint_csperry-org wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 11:43 My family used to blow me and my stories off. They have changed that somewhat however. My wife is a strong supporter and one of my daughters asks me about my work on a regular basis.
It's nice to know that. Good luck on your writing!
Rodel Barnachea

Jlprince26 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 15:38 While my family supports my writing, my husband is an attention hog, and 9 times out of 10 when he is home and I am writing I have to stop because he thinks that when he is home I should be up his rear end the entire time. It drives me nuts!
This also happens to me, but with my mom! And it's not even just when I'm writing. I kind of hope to live on my own, but I'm sure I'll miss my mom.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

My parents never read my writing because they just don’t really have the time and reading isn’t their thing. I know they’re still proud of me though, and if I do get some writing published they take the time to read that. I find that friends are really good for offering feedback for works in progress.
all’s fair in love and poetry
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

The funny thing about my parents is that they don't visualize the importance of what I've accomplished. For some reason they place importance on what equates instant money. "Mijo why haven't you bought a house or gotten married?" lol, something like that. As far as my friends many do like what my writing but I often feel they are not very good at gaging good quality material

Return to “Writing Discussion”