When did you know you wanted to pursue writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: When did you know you wanted to pursue writing?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks!

Oh, goodness. Surely you've improved since then? What makes you think you haven't become a good writer?
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Thanks!

Oh, goodness. Surely you've improved since then? What makes you think you haven't become a good writer?
Just my instinct. Not all of those who write are necessarily good at it. 8)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hm... Well, maybe it's a strength/weakness thing. For example, I'm great with dialogue. I'm horrible at creating flowery sentences. I'm great with vocab, but I'm horrible at creating realistic adult characters (apparently). HA HA HA HA!!!

I bet you're a better writer than you think. :-)
kovac-nikki
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kovac-nikki.html

Post by kovac-nikki »

When I could first remember being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I had said a massage therapist. I enjoyed concocting potions out of my mother's lotions and perfumes and having my brother pay me in change to rub them on his back. When asked a few years later, I was probably seven or younger, I said lawyer. I carried around a suitcase with a bunch of blank papers. I didn't know how to write then, but I had a mouth to argue. Finally, in 5th grade, when life started to get tougher because I was constantly moving around, I started writing scary, short stories and childrens books. It wasn't until I was in middle school did I finally start writing novel-sized fan-fiction on my boxy computer. Since then, I knew I wanted to pursue writing as a career.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

After wanting to be a cowboy, cop, or fireman (astronauts weren't around yet) my first serious wish was to be a doctor, particularly a pathologist. I'm one of those weird people with dual brains, left & right hemispheres both running full speed. Of course this is actually a false premise but I was interested in medicine, science, chemistry, biology, etc. and at the same time interested in literature.

So I was writing small stories and such while still in high school, no publishing outlet of course, but it was fun to write stuff. In college I was a chem major w. pre-med, biology, and math, too. Then i branched out and took a 2nd major in English lit w. focus on James Joyce.

Right out of school I worked as a newbie reporter for a newspaper but the pay was simply not a living wage so I directed my dayjob toward chemistry.

Eventually lost the medical desire but ended up doing chemical research and still kept writing fiction and essays and such too. Later in life I was an engineering consultant on specs for offshore exploration and drilling w. focus on safety and environmental regs. So I got to blend my writing skills w. technical things and I did pretty well, since I could write coherent specs that were easy to read but still had all the requisite tech info.

And I still kept writing, and now I'm focusing on my private detective novels.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
rtubbs77
Currently Reading: Patrick's Journey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rtubbs77.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by rtubbs77 »

For me it was a couple of years ago. I wrote a letter to a girl I really like and she told me the way I wrote that made her wonder if I wrote professionally. I never even thought about it before, but I decided to follow that lead and my goodness what a world it has opened up!.

I started writing guest blogs, about random topics. Mostly were comedy and my readers loved them. They said I had a way of puling them in. And because of that I started writing stories tailored to my readers being the main characters. They got such a kick out of seeing who would play what in those stories.

I have not been so happy since starting to write my own stories
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

rtubbs, just wait till your stories are published. Then you'll REALLY be happy! Good luck.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

As soon as I graduated High School, I knew writing was for me.
Specterpoet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-specterpoet.html

Post by Specterpoet »

When I fell in love with writing:

I was eleven, and it was almost Christmas 2001. My family was moving from California to Wisconsin and we had to spend Christmas and New Years in a hotel in Tennessee (I've travelled a lot!). I remember we had just seen The Fellowship of The Ring in the theater, and I was feeling inspired. I was also feeling bored and restless. So I took out one of my dad's tiny yellow legal pads and started writing a fantasy story about the Twunes and the Wolymen. I distinctly remember telling my little sister that I was only going to write for an hour or so until I got bored.

I never got bored, couldn't stop writing, and finished that book when I was almost 13. I've been writing ever since!
authorrustynugent
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9452">Star Wars Return of the jedi</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by authorrustynugent »

Well, when I was 6 I started writing stories for TV show such as Knight Rider. I would bring it to school and let everyone read them and they were like where's the next one. I was also a metal drummer and loved playing music, it was my life until I found out I had a heart birth defect when I was 32 years old. All I can do now is write my wild and crazy stories but I am a slow writer because I write intense full with major plot stories. (^_^) Stay Cool!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I knew I wanted to pursue writing as soon as I was able to read by myself. I would read a book and think to myself that I could write a book too. I began orally telling stories and then I begin to write them down.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I heard the idea that if you want to write, you should quit and find something else to do. If you can't quit, guess you're stuck being a writer. And I realized that, while I didn't write all that much at the time, when I did, it was because I NEEDED to. So I figured maybe I should try developing that skill.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I was writing short poems to children's newspapers when i was small and then came a science fiction competition in my school. I wrote a story about starting life on mars and won the bronze medal. That's how I started writing
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

It was when I realized my thoughts were powerful and people liked them.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Stories are something I had always loved hearing, reading, and making up. But I realized I could also write decent stories when my English teachers started appreciating my writing in essays.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?

Return to “Writing Discussion”