Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
David Offdavis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Why do you write?

Post by David Offdavis »

Writing helps me to convey my thoughts, emotions, and experiences in a manner that is unique to me, allowing me to connect with others on a deeper level.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Writing provides me with a sense of freedom and release, as I am able to express my innermost thoughts and feelings without any judgment or fear of repercussion.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Through the written word, I can explore my own mind and heart, and share my insights with others who may be going through similar experiences.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Writing allows me to exercise my creativity, as I am able to play with words and language to create something new and engaging.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Whether I am writing a poem, a short story, or a novel, I am always striving to bring my own unique voice and perspective to the page.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

In addition to personal expression, writing can also be a powerful tool for communication and connection.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Through my writing, I am able to reach out to others and share my ideas, beliefs, and values, creating a sense of community and shared understanding.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:

Post by David Offdavis »

Writing is just a vital part of my life, providing me with a means of self-expression, creativity, and connection to others.
Jason Tooke
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-tooke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Jason Tooke »

Writing liberates my creativity. It serves as an escape, offering solace and clarity amidst life's chaos. Writing gives me feelings of purpose and fulfillment as it becomes a journey of self-discovery, creating beauty, and making sense of the world around me. Its allure lies in weaving intricate worlds and exploring diverse perspectives, leaving an indelible mark on how I perceive the world and the situations I experience.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I write to express myself. I write because it makes my day. I write because I feel free to express myself.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

As an introvert, I don't feel like expressing my feelings through speaking, and in truth, I have very bad communication skills :shifty:
So, writing helps me to express my thoughts fully and additionally, it is a kind of self-awareness. When you write, you discover many things about yourself you didn't even know. Writing is everything to me!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
EIRINI CHALKIA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eirini-chalkia.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by EIRINI CHALKIA »

At first, each form of writing comes with it's own purpose. I keep writing in my diary because it feels like the only place where I can be completely free, and the only way of dropping heavy burdens off my shoulders without worrying about where are they going to land. I write poems when I'm full of words and emotions, as a healing way of turning overwhelming situations to art. I write long letters to the person I love the most because it's the only way for me to communicate all of my thoughts and emotions (and then I lock all of these letters up in my drawer and wait for the day in which I'll finally have the courage to give them to him). I write my mystery novel because I feel the need to share some of my personal experiences and views by building an interesting storyline around them. This brings me down to the common factor in all of these: I write because I need to. For me, there's no other way to deeply experience life's ups and downs than filtering them through a piece of paper.
Οur feet get tangled in the threads that bind our hearts.
coranichole
Favorite Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
fav_author_id: 12971

Post by coranichole »

I write to express the emotions my body has no other way of expressing.
I also write to never lose sight of the creativity and imagination i fought so hard to keep alive when everyone told me to simply grow up.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

If we are speaking about diary writing, then I do it a lot. All the time, in fact. If I am feeling a bit off balanced and don't know why, I will take a scrap of paper or open the notepad or the diary. After writing the situation, I always feel more grounded. Writing helps me keep my head clear.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Writing for me is therapeutic. I also find thinking about stories a helpful distraction when I have nothing else to do. It's like creating your own world to inhabit, weaving a weblike home in your mind.

Return to “Writing Discussion”