Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
JKPoindexter
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Castle by Bill Cunningham
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkpoindexter.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Why do you write?

Post by JKPoindexter »

I always found it easier to write my feelings and thoughts down about things instead of actually telling the person how I felt. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. But for me it is the best way to get my point across. And it's also easier to describe things by writing them down, it gives me time to think about what I want to say.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

That is exactly why I started writing. There was so many things floating around in my head but expressing those thoughts verbally never came out the way I intended it or I never had the opportunity to say all the things I wanted without hogging the conversation. In time I learned that most people want someone to listen to them. So I would listen, contribute some, and write a lot.
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

There are a few reasons why I write. Part of it is that I can express myself and think about what I want to say. Another is that, if it's writing fiction, I feel like I;m really part of the story and it's a lot of fun. It also allows me to get what I'm thinking out there and then come back to it later if I want or completely change it.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

JKPoindexter wrote:I always found it easier to write my feelings and thoughts down about things instead of actually telling the person how I felt. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. But for me it is the best way to get my point across. And it's also easier to describe things by writing them down, it gives me time to think about what I want to say.
I also feel this way. It's easier to express my thoughts through writing, but I also write because I find it enjoyable, regardless of whether I am trying to get out an emotion or not. Those two reasons are why I write.
KasMorin
Currently Reading: Silent Echo
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasmorin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 964
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KasMorin »

I also express myself better in writing.

I've always had a love of the written word. My favorite activity in gradeschool was when we would use creative writing prompts.

In the end, I feel like I NEED to write. It's hard to explain to anyone that doesn't have the same burning need but that's the gist of it. I have a need to get my ideas down on (virtual) paper and have them read by someone. When I imagine my "ideal future" it always includes writing.
greenpoppy

Post by greenpoppy »

I write, because my hands can say what my mouth refuses to.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

greenpoppy wrote:I write, because my hands can say what my mouth refuses to.
Well put!
AlexisDaniels
Favorite Author: B.E. Wilson
Favorite Book: Highway to the Stars series
Currently Reading: Awaiting the release of Blood Red Sky
fav_author_id: 2284

Post by AlexisDaniels »

Every time I am upset or in an introverted mood. Writing is my escape from reality. It's my dark secret... muahaha
Anna Meyer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Since I can remember, I loved paper! Blank clean white paper! I also remember a time when we used to exchange stationery writing paper among friends, the most beautiful coloured and printed sheets!!!! I remember a dream I had at a very very young age... primary years... where I dreamt: I was walking with a brown suitcase in my hand, up the road, (towards myself), there where huge trees on the pavement where I walked. Then suddenly I stopped and knelt down on the pavement, opened the brown suitcase .... it was FILLED, TO THE TOP, full of WHITE CLEAN PAPER, like sheets of paper, a whole suitcase full! I remember how happy and exited I felt in the dream, looking at these paper! I still thought in the dream: "A!!! What I can do with it! So much I can do with it!" I immediately woke up from the dream and as I woke up, I still felt the excitement and I started to look for it, I looked for the suitcase... and in that split seconds of it all, the dissappointment came over me... when I realized, "It was only a dream". Oh, I was so dissappointed! I had people asking me if I'm a writer, that knows nothing about me. I had people telling me that they see me with a pen in my hand, writing... asking me if I'm a teacher, "No, but I do love to write ..." I write when I am distressed, I write when I am lonely, I write when I am fearful, I write when I am down or sad, I write when I see someone that inspires me to write them a letter of encouragement, usually they are overwhelmed with gratitude, it means a lot to people! I mostly write to encourage, when I'm writing for others. Sometimes I just write to encourage myself. Sometimes it just helps me to focus and align myself again, to find strength again. I still want to write a book, a novel, love story, just for the fun! See whether it can lead somewhere. I remember when I entered high school, I started writing a love story, fictional. I would read it out aloud to my circle of friends at school during break-times... they always asked me what happened next... then I would go home and write the next few pages again, just to share it at school again... I managed to write a whole book, but I remember that I started to loose interest in the story or the whole process, just before the end of the book... I think I felt pressured to finish it with a bang! But couldn't really find the right ending in that short pressured time... so I just rushed the end to get it done! But now, when I do it again, I wont be sharing bits and pieces round about friends, I will just keep it to myself up to the end, so no one could pressure me or give me a time line. But, with that said, it would have been nice to have one person to be accountable to, that can give me some motivation to carry the process through to the end, with just as much excitement as in the beginning!
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
KasMorin
Currently Reading: Silent Echo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasmorin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 964
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KasMorin »

greenpoppy wrote:I write, because my hands can say what my mouth refuses to.
This is absolutely wonderful.
dchampagne

Post by dchampagne »

I write because it always comes out better than when I speak. I have been writing for many years and love it. I can express myself a lot better in words.
I have taken several creative writing course in my life. I found writing makes me complete.
kratika

Post by kratika »

many a times situation arise when you don't want to share your feelings and thoughts with someone ... so writing helps one to share the thoughts and feelings with oneself. one can release all the tension and worries via writing. It also help one to introspect thoughts and feelings. And when you write you can state yourself right so it don't hurt you and later when one is in a good state of mind then you can identify with your faux pass.
Romes123
Favorite Author: James Hadley Chase
Favorite Book: The God Father
Currently Reading: A TIME TO KILL
fav_author_id: 26124

Post by Romes123 »

I write to prove a point. I don't like taking part in heated arguments: someone who would originally interrupt me will read through before deciding. I also write to be famous and rich.

-- 21 Jun 2014, 09:35 --

I write to prove a point. I don't like taking part in heated arguments: someone who would originally interrupt me will read through before deciding. I also write to be famous and rich.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Writing for me has always been concomitant with reading. I was reading at about three, reading high school / YA books at seven, adult novels (Hemingway, Faulkner, etc) at ten.

So it was a natural evolution in my mind to write stories. I was a very intense fantasy and SF fan as a kid and so I wrote several "space adventure" stories featuring known characters from book I'd read, like the old Lensman series and other "pulp era" SF.

And I've continued to write all my life, having just finished my 3rd novel in a private detective series. Plus short stories, essays, articles, book & movie reviews. And now started on my 4th novel.

Why do I write? I write because I must. I couldn't go a week without writing.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

moderntimes wrote:
Why do I write? I write because I must. I couldn't go a week without writing.
This. 100% - this.

I can not remember a time I wasn't writing. I 'wrote' before I could even form the letters, when most children are still learning to talk, and then I 'read' it to my parents, brother, and anyone who would listen.

Like Modern Times, I taught myself to read early, and was reading adult-level books by the time I was ten. (A teacher refused my book report on War and Peace in grade seven, because he claimed I could not have read it. :?

Writing is my vocation. It is my passion. It is my sanity.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Return to “Writing Discussion”