Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Anasko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you write?

Post by Anasko »

I write because I have an awesome imagination. If I don't write my stories, nobody else will. Eventually even I'd forget and then what would be the point of making them in the first place.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Because I want to :D
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hadiqa wrote:Because I want to :D
Hahah! And that should be enough of a reason!
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

JKPoindexter wrote:I always found it easier to write my feelings and thoughts down about things instead of actually telling the person how I felt. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. But for me it is the best way to get my point across. And it's also easier to describe things by writing them down, it gives me time to think about what I want to say.
I agree.You just described me!

-- Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 am --
Anasko wrote:I write because I have an awesome imagination. If I don't write my stories, nobody else will. Eventually even I'd forget and then what would be the point of making them in the first place.
I also have an awesome imagination and you're right,no one else will write anything if I won't.Plus I forget things if I don't write them down 8)
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Avid SciFi Fan

Post by Avid SciFi Fan »

I like being the story teller for a change. To create memorable characters and exotic location. To manipulate the character interactions and plot just the way you want. To answer the question "what if" and "what next".

When your writing away with things flowing "in the zone", it feels good and the time just flies by.

You don't get that experience from reading!
rishitha

Post by rishitha »

To express our story and also make people feel crazy.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I started writing every day in a journal. Sometimes it was just events of the day but sometimes it ended up being a stress reliever. I could write down things in my journal that were bugging me and get them off my chest. Then I went through a lot of very stressful stuff in life and I started writing about how I got through the stressful stuff, and then went on to write in hopes of helping other people be able to get through stressful stuff. I also write about ideas I have for stories for children. I like to write about different things that take my mind to a different calmer place than real life.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

rishitha wrote:To express our story and also make people feel crazy.
What kind of books are you writing :shock:
literarylover+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarylover.html

Post by literarylover+ »

I write because I have to write in essence! I feel like I will choke with the words welling up inside me if I don't get them down on paper or on a computer screen! :) I am currently working on my second novel. Writing is my passion, my dream, and my highest aspiration in life is to become a published author!
kezzstar24

Post by kezzstar24 »

Because I have to. How else is everything going to get out of my head without me ending up in a mental ward?

I started at about three years old and never stopped. I used to come home from kindy with little books I made up with drawings in them and I'd tell my parents/babysitters my stories. Moment I learnt how to write I started scrawling as fast as I could. I destroyed schoolbooks looking for pages to write on.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

kezzstar24 wrote:Because I have to. How else is everything going to get out of my head without me ending up in a mental ward?
I thought I was the only one who thought this could happen to me!! I seriously feel like my brain is going tt explode if I don't get the thoughts out, quickly! Nice to know someone else out there is as crazy as I am! 8)
kezzstar24

Post by kezzstar24 »

ALynnPowers wrote: I thought I was the only one who thought this could happen to me!! I seriously feel like my brain is going tt explode if I don't get the thoughts out, quickly! Nice to know someone else out there is as crazy as I am! 8)
I thought being a bit crazy was a prerequisite to being an author, how else do we keep entire other worlds and lives in our heads?

And I'm not going to follow that line of thought...that be the way to madness :shock:
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

kezzstar24 wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote: I thought I was the only one who thought this could happen to me!! I seriously feel like my brain is going tt explode if I don't get the thoughts out, quickly! Nice to know someone else out there is as crazy as I am! 8)
I thought being a bit crazy was a prerequisite to being an author, how else do we keep entire other worlds and lives in our heads?

And I'm not going to follow that line of thought...that be the way to madness :shock:
You made me lol. Mostly because you are so right!

I once wrote a story about a bunch of really eccentric people who thought they were super heroes. Then there was this really plain guy who just wanted to be an author, but the others thought he was the crazy one.
kezzstar24

Post by kezzstar24 »

ALynnPowers wrote:
kezzstar24 wrote:

You made me lol. Mostly because you are so right!

I once wrote a story about a bunch of really eccentric people who thought they were super heroes. Then there was this really plain guy who just wanted to be an author, but the others thought he was the crazy one.
That made me LOL as my current work is a hero story that's slowly turning into a statement about political involvement and how it takes a community to make a change etc etc etc.

I must be getting old if I'm moralizing...and I'm only 26!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

kezzstar24 wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:You made me lol. Mostly because you are so right!

That made me LOL as my current work is a hero story that's slowly turning into a statement about political involvement and how it takes a community to make a change etc etc etc.

I must be getting old if I'm moralizing...and I'm only 26!
You're way too young for that kind of nonsensical talk! 8) That's a true sign of early insanity! :lol:

Return to “Writing Discussion”