Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Re: Why do you write?

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

I want to be part of some reader's future the way past authors have been part of my life.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I write, because the voices in my head would drive me absolutely bonkers if I refused to write down their stories. I once heard that non writer's heads are typically 'silent' and I wondered, then and now, how they could live with that silence day in and day out. Inside my head is never quiet. I am constantly getting bombarded by a multitude of voices clamoring for me to tell their story. To get their words down on paper, or by means of typing.
Julia Hanna
Favorite Book: The Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Julia Hanna »

I write because I like to express myself, emotions, thoughts, and beliefs. I always like to have my own opinion about everything in life after trying to understand the whole topic and to reflect my opinion in my writings. This helps me in developing myself, as I always adjust and add to those thoughts all the time, so this helps me to come up with new ideas based on the previous ones.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

There are two reasons why I write. The first is because I can see my thoughts on paper and remember what they were and maybe even reflect on them. The second reason was as a form of freedom. The first is for my soul but the second one was for my heart and mind. I am someone amazing and brave and indomitable, capable of anything and everything. I write because it's like breathing to me and when I don't, I'm holding my breath.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I am not a proper, organised writer, but I sometimes write when inspiration strikes or when I need to sort my thoughts.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

For me it is just a hobby and I don't think it will ever be anything more than that. I write primarily short stories though I have written a couple of longer ones which might satisfy the conditions of a novella, and then there is the occasional poem.

I post them on sites such as this one just to see if anyone finds them interesting. If I find someone who likes one of my stories I feel like I have met a kindred spirit who is on the same page with the way I think and in its way it makes the world feel like a less lonely place.

If you really care about the writing you do it becomes personal and in my case I don't think I could sell it even if people were willing to publish it. Hard to put into words - sort of like prostituting one's talent, if indeed there actually is any talent. I just put them out there and hope people who read them don't feel that I've wasted their time after they read them, and in the best scenario they enjoy them and I have added a little something good to their day.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

I read too much and it's really hard to find a book I could enjoy, so I wanted to write one myself.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I face a lot of problems to express my thoughts and ideas through speech. That's why I write. To express the ideas that I can't speak.
Daniel A Roberts

Post by Daniel A Roberts »

If human imagination was akin to gasoline, then my desire to write is the proverbial engine. It wants to run certain days, and on others it wants to race. Rarely does my imagination idle. It plays with places, people, monsters, planets, universe hops and does it all over again in different realities. Putting those events into words is fun! That's why I write. It's fun! :)
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Most of the time, I write because I want to pass a message across. Sometimes, writing allows me to express what I have in my heart to the outside world. Hence, the major reason I write.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

How else can the people know what manner the information it thoughts you have to share with them if not by writing? Writing gives us the chance to let people know some of the things we know.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

To express myself. I also write to learn about myself, I'm writing a draft for my memoir. I like to amuse myself that I'm famous and people would like to read about my life story. So I started writing a memoir, and doing this has made me realize there's a lot I don't know about myself. But I am getting to learn about myself everyday. I love it.
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

I write for fun as well as to glorify Jesus!
Austin McMichael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-mcmichael.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Austin McMichael »

As a book reviewer, I write to share my enthusiasm and passion for literature with others. I believe that books have the power to change lives and I enjoy immersing myself in a good story. Writing book reviews allows me to express my thoughts and opinions on the books I read and introduce others to new titles they might not have otherwise picked up. It also gives me an opportunity to help promote the works of authors, both new and established. Additionally, it helps me in honing my critical thinking abilities and improving my own writing skills.
David Offdavis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by David Offdavis »

For me, writing is not just a way of putting words on paper or a screen, but it is a means of expressing myself in a creative and meaningful way.

Return to “Writing Discussion”