Where do your ideas come from?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

What is your favorite genre to write in?

Horror
9%
Romance
57%
Sci-fi
35%

Total votes: 23

alibaba3003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Where do your ideas come from?

Post by alibaba3003 »

My ideas is come from the surrounding and also by reading books and blogs
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

My ideas come from my dreams
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Mostly, I don't get my ideas from anywhere. My ideas come from deep thoughts within myself. That's the major reason I always prefer to write in an environment where distraction is minimal.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

My ideas come from two major sources: research and personal thoughts. Firstly, I like to do a little research on what I want to write before proceeding. Other times, I think carefully and extensively before starting to write. This is one of the major areas my ideas come from.
brandonstark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brandonstark »

I am a professional copywriter for digital media. Everytime I write something, I do research if that topic is fullfilling the intent of user or is it informational content. I also look for keword research through google tools and paid tools. Along with that I also use answer the public and ahrefs website to get content ideas. For example last week I wrote couple of content for one of my client that provides homework help related services. I use all of the tools for keywords and ideation of the content.
beauty_in_these_ashes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Jane Street Cooperative Garden
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by beauty_in_these_ashes »

I'm new to writing, so it's really neat to see where people get their ideas. It's something I was curious about too. If I wrote about my dreams, I might lose the reader or it would end up in a story that brought me down a rabbit hole to Wonderland 😁
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

My short story ideas usually come from the things I draw. When I go through my sketchbooks or look at something I painted earlier it sparks an idea for the concept of my writing.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

My ideas come from interesting characters I meet. I will being a story with the character and then put them in cool surroundings. The plot will gradually develop itself.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”