Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Re: Pencil or pen?

Post by zaynab_m »

The good thing about pencils is you can erase any mistakes/extra words off your page without your notebook looking untidy. Despite that, I usually use pens simply 'cause I'm used to them, and they write smoothly. I used pencils in school ages ago!
Also, I have a separate notebook just for story-writing. It has a cover of green, blue and purple stripes - quite pretty, if you ask me! In it I jot down any story ideas, phrases, vocabulary or anything at all to do with writing, that pops into my head. I've written a few short stories in there, and the beginning to two novels - one a fanfiction, the other a sci-fi story idea I got.
Keeping a separate notebook for stuff like this is really useful. If it's small, you could keep it around with you everywhere and jot down any ideas you think of. Sorry, I'm old-fashioned - you could use the more modern approach. Just pull out your phone every time you think of a story idea, and quickly type it out so you remember. Happy story-writing! -Zaynab
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
bethanytaylor99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethanytaylor99.html

Post by bethanytaylor99 »

I prefer a pen a lot more than a pencil but if a pencil is all I can find then I shall use it.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I prefer pens. I hate when pencils smug on the page.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Connoisseur
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connoisseur.html

Post by Connoisseur »

Pen, specifically, fountain pens and good gel pens. Something about the texture of writing with pencils just feels "scratchy" and dry to me...I hate it. This is why I cannot draw unless I'm drawing in ink; pencil makes the worst scratching sound, has the most unpleasant gray color, etc.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

Pen! It doesn't fade like pencil. Erasing what you've written because its seems like a bad writing idea to you at the time can be a big mistake. Especially, when you realize that you can use that idea in another writing project or use the idea in the same way in the same book you were working on at the time. The original idea is always good to look at even if you still remember it.
MyBrokeCollegeLife
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mybrokecollegelife.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by MyBrokeCollegeLife »

I prefer pen because even if I make a mistake and scratch it out I don't lose the work I've done and might later reuse the wording in an area that it better fits. I hate the thought of losing ideas so even if I use a pencil I never touch the eraser.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

Definitely pen! For me it's just easier, I hate the sound pencil makes while writing and also not a fan of smudging. Pen traces won't fade and even if you have to scratch your mistakes, sometimes it's better when they stay on paper instead of being erased.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
ChelseaL-25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseal-25.html

Post by ChelseaL-25 »

When I'm writing, it has to be in pen or else I don't feel as if the piece that I have written actually exists. Pencil disappears when smudged (I'm a leftie) and doesn't feel final. If I don't have a pen, I won't write it down.
Hannah-E
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-e.html

Post by Hannah-E »

I usually use a pencil because I think I can write better, but pens are fun for writing fancy. :)
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I definitely prefer pen. I'm always afraid of my work being destroyed easily if I were to use pencil and this has happened countless times when I was a kid to the point that I just gave up writing with pencils. There's something about pens that are magical and they glide effortlessly against paper but that's just me :P
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

Pen, since I think it's easier than sharpening a pencil again and again. Also, you have the choice of choosing the color of the ink. But sometimes if the notebook paper is too thin, I prefer the pencil.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

I have to use pen, and even then I'm quite picky. The ink has to flow smoothly with a minimum amount of pressure, which ultimately led me to the use of dip pens, fountain pens, and quills. There is a famous author who does this: Christopher Paolini, author of The Inheritance series (Eragon).
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I have to say that I prefer pen. I don't do a lot of old fashioned hand writing now though with a tablet being so handy. I would probably develop a really bad case of writer's cramp if I did.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I love using both. The more I write the better it gets.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
JCunha77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcunha77.html

Post by JCunha77 »

I really love to use pencils and I guess I am a little bit weird because I don't erase I cross things out just like I'm using a pen. I also like the sound of an old school typewriter.

Return to “Writing Discussion”