Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Re: Pencil or pen?

Post by P_hernandez »

I love writing with pens. I can't write with pencils. They just sound odd.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
Rachel8788
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rachel8788 »

Pen for my personal journal, but a keyboard for all my other writing!
flogan14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flogan14.html

Post by flogan14 »

That's hard, because with pen I hate that if I want to change something, there's a lot of crossing out and what not. But I like the look of it better on paper. It's darker and it smudges less, and certain pens are just so fun to write with. I think the better question, because this is the debate I've encountered more often, is writing by hand or typing on the computer. Short story or novel, I always have to write the first draft of whatever project I'm working on by hand. I don't know why, but I hate typing a first draft on the computer. I also just love writing in little writer's notebooks, getting them as gifts and everything. It makes the notebook feel very special.
Msmarisolanita711

Post by Msmarisolanita711 »

It would have to be pencil for me, I erase too much lol especially when I'm writing a story, my mind goes free
Jdehoyos21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdehoyos21.html

Post by Jdehoyos21 »

I love pens! I cannot do pencils, the lead of a mechanical pencil always breaks, and the wooden pencils leave my hands feeling dirty. I love writing with pens, so smooth, so clean. I especially love colored pens. My favorite pen to use, as of right now, is a purple BiC Cristal 1.6mm ball point pen. The purple ink is so pretty and it writes so smoothly. People find it weird that I have a preference when it comes to every detail of a pen, but what can I say? I love to write stories, I love to write them out before I type them, and I like to use pens that work good and are comfortable! :D
U3i
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby

Post by U3i »

I like using a pencil when I'm writing something I want to erase. I use a pen when I draw.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

kaytie wrote:There's something nostalgic about the scritching sound of a pencil on paper, but for editing I use a pen because I don't have to worry about a dull edge. (I've never cared much for mechanical pencils.)

For writing, I always type first.
My thoughts exactly! I always prefer a pencil for the sound. (which sounds so strange to some)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
rainydaygirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaygirl.html

Post by rainydaygirl »

Pencil, unless it's a mechanical one; I'd write with a broken crayon over a mechanical pencil. However, if I could pull of using a quill and ink pot on some parchment, that would be awesome. :D
sara91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara91.html

Post by sara91 »

I use pen when I'm handwriting - the only time I ever use pencil is if I can't find a pen anywhere.

Most of the time, though, I write on the computer. My hand always gets too cramped up when I'm handwriting, so I feel like I get more done faster if I just type it.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

I have to write in pen, although I do some sketching in pencil.
WickedWriter42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wickedwriter42.html

Post by WickedWriter42 »

Pen. I do almost everything in pen. There is just something so relaxing about the finality of ink. Pencil smudges and can fade over time. Pen runs smoothly across the paper and although it requires crossing out mistakes, I find the crossing out makes room for more ideas to come through.
Denise16
Currently Reading: Somebody Love Me
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Denise16 »

It always has to be a pen for me. I only use pencils to draw with. They also can get smudged more than a pen can, I believe.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Pen! I can't stand writing with pencils. Just doesn't look as nice to me.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I love the messiness that a pen can bring to paper when writing down thoughts or ideas. The idea of scratching something out and starting over or adding in little thoughts and ideas throughout finished writing by putting an arrow in and writing in the margins just seems to bring more life to rough drafts or notes on something. I feel more accomplished when I see my writing like this. I also hate having to continuously erase when I mess up and then I have to worry about running out of eraser. Also, I only like mechanical pencils and making sure I constantly have one with me is tough. I ALWAYS have a pen, but not a pencil.

I will say though that I HAVE to write in my day planner with pencil. I hate having to scratch out stuff in that. That just bothers me.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
websitedesign

Post by websitedesign »

Definitely like pen for writing purposes. i like to prefer pencil to underline which i could rub later.

Return to “Writing Discussion”