Do you outline?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Do you outline?

Post by hayisa »

Previously, I wasn't into the idea of outlining as I wanted more freedom over my stories as it progresses. But I realize that the chances of me actually finishing the story is very low and I almost always discard them in the process. When I outline though, my chances of finishing the story go way higher than average.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I outline to know where my characters start my story mentally and physically, and to know where I want them to end the story. I also have a few key moments I want to take place. Anything else I come up with on the go. Outlining doesn't to cover every incident or chapter. Outlining also reduces the chances of being stuck and having no idea how to continue. In many of the stories I have written there comes a point where I don't know how to progress in a certain section. My outline allows my to jump ahead in the story and then come back when I figure out what to write.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

Yes, I think the outline is a way of structuring your story. It sets out the framework of your story and guides you to finally completing it.
a musical mind!
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

If I am actually writing a story or article, I outline. The outline serves as a guide so you know how your writing flows sequentially. Even here at Online book club, the style guide serves as an outline to guide you how to write your review
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

I don't outline. Yeah, I never really finish writing, especially since I don't know where the plot is heading.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Of course, I do! An outline gives you a direction on the areas where your writing must follow. If you don't outline, how do you know the things to include in your write-up? Even in high school, I was taught to outline before writing any letter.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Outlining will help you in your writing. It gives you a specific direction to follow and makes writing much easier and faster. Personally, when I outline, my work has more meaning and goes faster than when I don't outline.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

I usually don't outline but more recently, I noticed ghostwriting companies demand outlines. Not a bad idea.

Return to “Writing Discussion”