If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it to?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zeldagreene
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeldagreene.html

If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it to?

Post by zeldagreene »

If you were to publish a novel, do you know who you would dedicate it to? Or if you already have, who did you dedicate and why?

As for me, I am in the working process of several stories. However, if it manages to get published, I would want to dedicate it to my best friend Emily, for being my number one fan, and my parents for never giving up on me even when I gave up on myself.

Geez, it sounds so cheesy.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I once dedicated a story I wrote to the ladies who worked in a restaurant.

I wrote the whole book while I was eating in that restaurant. Not all at once, of course, but over a period of a few months, I would go into that restaurant every Wednesday and write nonstop for maybe 3-4 hours after I ate lunch there. They began to recognize me after a few weeks, and I always ordered the same thing. They were super nice and gave me coupons and stuff. But I'm American and I live in Japan, and my Japanese is terrible and I don't think they speak English. So they actually have no idea about this dedication.
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

My Mom, the strongest, most amazing woman I have ever known! Now, I just need to write a book! LOL
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
Alynnes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnes.html

Post by Alynnes »

I definitely agree this is an important question. I love to read the dedication page of a book. When it's really creative, impressively written, or poignant, I am much more eager to read the book. (Yes, judging a book by its dedication page!)

I would absolutely dedicate my first [hypothetical] book to my mom for her inspiration, encouragement, and patience.

My advice would be to dedicate your book to a very specific audience that you hope will connect with the book. If you're writing about kids in school, dedicate it to students who stood up to bullies to defend others, for example, or to the teachers who help kids rediscover their curiosity. If you're writing a historical fiction about the Holocaust, write a memorandum to those who lost their lives or loved ones, or those who learned to trust again. If you're writing about unicorns or monsters in a fantasy land, dedicate it to your imaginary friends who are still the constant inspiration for your books!

As your book progresses, I would pay special attention to where you find inspiration and who encourages you most. You'll know who deserves a dedication when they come into your life in some way.
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I would dedicate my book to a friend I used to have, Sarah. We haven't been friends since high school. We had a bit of a falling out, but regardless of the issues we may have, she was my number one fan sophomore year when I realized that I love to write.
She encouraged me to write every day, and was the first person I ever allowed to read my stories. If she hadn't pushed me, I may not have stuck with it. I am a better writer today because of her.

Now, how to condense that into a couple lines for a dedication - well, I haven't gotten that far! :)
Scarlett

Post by Scarlett »

I can't in fact I have only ever finished writing one story but I have noticed that some of my ideas fit into others and then I combine the ideas. I usually don't fully write it out but a paragraph to remind myself what I thought about and then when I get stuck I can look and see if one of my ideas fit into the story I am working on!

Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

Friends, directors, family, actors and actresses
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Alynnes wrote:As your book progresses, I would pay special attention to where you find inspiration and who encourages you most. You'll know who deserves a dedication when they come into your life in some way.
I agree with this point! I feel like my sister has gotten angry at me because I didn't dedicate any of my books to her... but... well, she honestly didn't have anything to do with my writing the books. I guess I should dedicate a book to her in the future though, just so she will keep reading them. Hahaha. 8)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My family...
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

My fifth grade teacher / writer!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I promised a librarian friend that I would dedicate my first novel to her, but after that, it would depend on who had helped me the most with it. The one I'm working on set in Eastern Europe, for instance, would have to be to my sister (she's going to help me with all the math parts) and to a friend of mine who visited that area and even brought me a lightbulb with a picture of Nikola Tesla.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I would dedicate a book to my children because they are the ones who would be most responsible for me being able to get published. They are encouraging and inspiring me now in the same way that I try to encourage and inspire them from the time they were very young. I would also acknowledge any people who help with any research or ideas to help me with my writing.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I would dedicate the book to several people: my parents for raising me, my girlfriend for supporting me and an old teacher of mine who helped me to realize my potential. After that, I would pick a name at random out of the phone book! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I would dedicate it to everyone, I would write this dramatic paragraph about how "heres to you" and how I love all my readers. Lame, but I would love my readers. :P
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I want to make a hidden story out of my dedications. Like "Lemony Snicket" did with the Series of Unfortunate Events dedications. Those were awesome.

Return to “Writing Discussion”