Do you write only in one genre?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Do you write only in one genre?

Post by rssllue »

I was just curious how many of you out there write in more than one genre. I have written across almost all genres and I guess I am trying to see if I am the oddball or not. :? :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Liot
Favorite Author: Hemmingway
Favorite Book: Too many favourites
Currently Reading: Morgans Passing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liot »

The sub genre I write in is always Romance but the main genre varies. I have two published novels. One is an historical drama/romance/supernatural and the other is a contemporary romance. My current novel project is an historical adventure/romance and my current screenplay project is a contemporary murder mystery/romance. I also write traditional British Pantos and audience participation murder mysteries on stage.

It may be an old adage but 'variety is the spice of life' is my mantra.

Fran Connor
ShawHamp
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Memory of Light
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by ShawHamp »

I have a published book that's a travelogue, so it's written like a diary. The stuff I'm working on now varies from epic fantasy to sci-fi (or cli-fi, really) and I've even been dabbling in children's picture books, so I think it's typical for writers to branch out, even if they're not well known for it. I agree with Fran that variety is the spice of life :) It helps with perspective too, I think.
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

NO, not all the time. But if you talk about reading then I got stuck to same genre but I like to write on different genre.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I feel like I never write in the same genre, so no, you are not an oddball.
When I first started writing, I felt like I was only writing the same thing again and again (it was always dramatic stories about young people with common mental illnesses: depression, panic attack disorder, anxiety, etc, or young people dealing with the death of a loved one... because that's what I had experienced at the time) but then I forced myself to branch out and try other things that were "lighter" and I ended up finding out that it was also good for me emotionally.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I generally write romance but I branch out to different subgenres for romance. It's what I enjoy so it's what I write. I do think of writing crime novels but that's for the future.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I might ha w lied before. I guess I do always write in YA genre. But within that area, I write across lots of subgenres. At least, I hope I do.
Valrose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valrose.html

Post by Valrose »

I think that this is such a great question. I feel pressure to decide what genre to write in, but I guess I really don't have to! Thanks everyone!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very cool! Glad to know it helped in some way! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

My series of novels are modern American private detective, 2 novels sold and published, the 3rd still negotiating. And I started the 4th. But I also write mainstream short stories, and some supernatural or horror shorts, too. I also write magazine articles and essays in all sorts of genres, religion, philosophy, history, etc.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
rajesh

Post by rajesh »

Yes,fiction
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, when I first started writing, I wrote a short story that scandalized my entire family: a campy crime noir story named Unlawful. ("For unlawful carnal knowledge." BANG.) It garnered comments such as, "Please don't publish that anywhere," and, "That's the worst thing I've ever read in my whole life," and, ultimately, "Can you write something--anything!!--that's a bit more wholesome?" So I did--I wrote some middle grades books, plus a combined edition that's adult coming-of-age/visionary.

I guess that the point of this story is that you have to find your niche.

I do have another idea for a short story: The Therapist Who Knew Too Much. I ran the plot by my dad and he seemed horrified.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I was very lucky as a young kid. My folks encouraged my writing and my dad especially was delighted in my rough and tumble stories.

Like most young writers, I started with what's now termed "fanfic" (fan fiction) -- I wrote a short Tarzan story and then a John Carter of Mars story -- my dad was an early science fiction/fantasy fan and I had read all the original Tarzan books and other Burroughs books when I was quite young. These stories are thankfully long lost.

But "wholesome" was never in my vocabulary. In fact, when I wrote a short mystery story for high school English class, the teacher was "appalled" at my language and violence, and phoned my parents. Dad told her that I had his approval to write whatever I wanted, and to read whatever, too. And that the teacher should just grade me on the quality of my writing. She was not amused and gave me a "D" on the story, which my dad laughed at. It took me a while to see the humor in it.

So I've always written graphic fiction, still do. Some of my friends have said that my mind is in the gutter, with a few of my horror short stories. When I'm told that, I know that I'm on target! ha ha (My girlfriend still won't read some of my stuff.)
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I've written tons of fanfiction, and though I'm mostly in fiction I do have a nonfiction book that I've been working on and haven't gotten to the proposal stage with. I stretch across multiple genres with my stories and short stories, but I do like to have at least some elements of fantasy or psychology in everything.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

Just like how I read a variety of genres, I'm also into writing different genres. Over the years, I've tried Teen Fiction, Fantasy, Fanfiction, Thriller, Mystery, and Comedy.

Return to “Writing Discussion”