Does originality exist anymore?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Re: Does originality exist anymore?

Post by Ripley3131 »

I like this discussion. I've had similar thoughts as well. I keep coming back to yes and no. I love these forums because they make me think.
Sometimes it's just as simple as putting a new spin on a popular thought or idea, especially when people are still interested in the topic.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I still think that originality exists. It's just so much harder to make stuff that is novel since there are so many people thinking and ideating.
Rodel Barnachea

moderntimes wrote: 07 Jan 2015, 15:19 I wouldn't say "supposed to" but that yes, humans actually do only feel a few basic emotions. So basic and root ideas are never new.

What is different, however, is how we relate to those emotions, and how we react, either physically or mentally. And this would provide the basis for writing a story about these feelings. So while emotional independence may not be fresh, the reflection that you work with within that emotional envelope would lead to a new story or new direction.
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I remember the saying about how great artists steal ideas but not plagiarize. It's kind of like copying someone except you try to make unique instead of just mindlessly copying it or just trying to change a little part of what you copied.
Rodel Barnachea

Batesblogger wrote: 14 Dec 2014, 15:17 Maybe it isn't the ideas that need to be original. Maybe just the delivery. Just because someone else writes a poem about loss, doesn't mean my poem about loss will be the same. Just because most romances end happily ever after doesn't mean they all have to get there the same way.
This, also! Two artists and writers can have the same premise, but what would set them apart is their delivery. If you think that what you are writing is overused, try to see it from a novel perspective and write from there.
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Post by Robert Potter »

Yes and no. Every type of story has been told since there are practically like six types of stories total. That being said every iteration of those half dozen or so types havent. Not even close. How you tell a story, even if it follows the Hero's Journey to the letter, is way more important than the contents or "originality." There's a reason these stories work, are popular, and resonate with people.
:tiphat:

Where you can also find me: https://robertthewriter.substack.com
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

You cannot write based on what's already available. Normally, your writings are guided by some emotions or feelings that inspire you in some how. And those feelings are your originality. That's why I think yes, we still have authenticity.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

I think originality stands out in how a story is written more than what is written. Most stories are the same basically. The difference lies in the telling.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I think no, the only original thing you may find in today's book are names, but the plotlines and the topics are always similar; therefore, there are those who impress us with their manipulative and creativity to create uniqueness in a copy.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

"There's too many men, too many people making too many problems!", the band Genesis sang in Land of Confusion. I do think that it is hard to find a place in originality, but at the end of the day, it depends if it had reached your community. Knowing that the internet makes everything universal has impacted the way we trade, but maybe the concept of originality was never truly "there".
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Completely pure originality is pretty much impossible, but that's not a standard any of us need to strive for. There are millions of different pieces of media that shape us as people, and when we release that creativity, we place our own personal stamp on it
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Yes, and no... Everything has already been done, more or less, but it can all be done in different and unique ways.
Seluleko Nhleko
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Seluleko Nhleko »

Originality exists.If your story comes from an honest place,then that counts as being original.
literatureonmymind
Currently Reading: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by literatureonmymind »

Originality could be in a very specific thought that a person put into words in a way that naturally came about with the thought. It could also be in the value of something important that was put into words that reflect how much it meant and what it really was. It can occur in many ways, and it becomes more conspicuous when you look beyond just what something appears to be, and dive a little deeper into the art. But at the same time, it's a sad reality that mediocrity and stolen lines are everywhere. Such writing helps bring to life the value of the beauty of original work.
dylz-bookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dylz-bookworm »

Originality... has the root word of origin. We all experience life differently. Not any one of us has the exact same story–I think that's where "originality" stems from. Having a different outlook on so many things, whipping up stories that resonate with you, as an author, and to those who'll echo and perceive something new in the process.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Every time I sit down to write something, this is the question that comes to my mind every single time "Does originality exist anymore?"
I mean there is a book about every single thing, there are no new concepts left to be written about.
But then I remind myself that nobody thinks alike so no matter what I write no body can write it like me.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?

Return to “Writing Discussion”