Favorite part of writing a review?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Re: Favorite part of writing a review?

Post by lisalynn »

There's a moment where all my ideas and notes finally take form and morph into a review. Sometimes it seems as though there's no way I'll ever get a hundred words strung together, but I keep thinking and massaging and it eventually comes together.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

My favorite part of writing a review is the finished product. My least favorite is trying to figure out those pesky commas! :roll2:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

My favorite part of doing reviews is learning. I am learning what works, what works well, and what should be avoided all together. I believe the biggest thing I've learned is that no matter how good a piece is in my head, someone else needs to take a look at it. I mean, getting someone who will let me know where my story falls flat, where I've left something hanging, where I've completely lost the thread, is valuable. I've done a couple of reviews, (set aside a couple more) that could have used that extra set of eyes. I guess the writer was rushed to get 'something' out. The problem is, when I see something like that, (something that has not been cleaned up) I forever will avoid that writer. I suppose I only give them one chance. Saying that, they better do their best on the first try. I know that is my goal. Nothing gets published before its been through a couple of beta readers and probably a content editor.
Afturnitsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afturnitsa.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Afturnitsa »

The best part about writing reviews, although I'm doing my first one, is the pressure to really analyze and think about the story. I'm taken back to my college days when I wrote many essays.
My least favorite will most likely be the potential for a story to get a low rating. I say this because of all the time and energy that goes into a finished product.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

As someone who reads tons of book reviews before deciding to purchase a book, I feel that I am helping others decide where they'd like to spend their hard-earned money. I know that for many book lovers (myself included), the desire to purchase and read all the books is strong, and it really comes down to the reader reviews and critiques to filter through the masses.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I like being able to list what I like most and least because as a reader these are the things I pay attention to most.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I like giving well-earned praise to authors who use their words to inspire or teach others. The least favorite part is if I don't like the book. Then there is the feeling of impending dread when I will have to point out those things in the review.
AngelaC
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading: Rabbit-Proof Fence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelac.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by AngelaC »

I find it interesting how difficult is it for me to write a review that does not sound academic! I have been writing university papers for so long that I have forgotten how to write something else! I have not been with the site for long, but I am learning a lot about my writing.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

My favorite part about review writing is the reading before hand. Okay, that doesn't really answer the question does it? I think in writing the review I like expressing what I like and dislike the best. I look at this as both a note to a possible reader but a nod to the author about what they could do better.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

My favourite part of writing a review is writing the review itself. I like putting together the points I've noted down, and I feel I understand the book deeper than when I don't write a review at all.
My least favourite part is receiving the reviewer score from the editor...
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

My favorite part of book reviewing would be to have an opportunity of expressing my own views and opinions regarding the book.
My least favorite part would, again, be exactly the same thing as sometimes the receiver tends to take it in a negative way.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

One of the most enjoyable aspects of writing a review (for me) is morphing all my scattered ideas and thoughts into one clean essay. I feel satisfied after all the reading is done and I press the 'submit' button, because I am happy that I read a full book and presented my honest view on it.

One of my least favourite parts of writing a review is making sure that not one error is spotted in the writing, even with the use of grammar checkers.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

My favorite part about writing a review is putting across my thoughts, critics, and opinions about a book. I don't have anything I hate about the process.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

The best part I like when I start writing any review is in my judgement on the type of readers for whom the book should reach.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

To be honest, I don't have a favorite part or a least favorite part. I think that the whole writing process can be tedious depending on the topic you are writing about.

Return to “Writing Discussion”