Do you write what you want or what others want?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
edenwheeler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you write what you want or what others want?

Post by edenwheeler »

Certainly! Writing is subjective, and it's important to find the right balance. You should primarily write about what you love or are passionate about, as this will reflect in the quality and authenticity of your work. However, keeping your audience in mind and occasionally catering to their interests can also help you connect with readers and grow your following. But remember, don't sacrifice your personal joy or interest for popularity. Write what makes you happy, and the right audience will come.
LY_Rachel
Currently Reading: 24 Hours at Waterloo
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ly-rachel.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by LY_Rachel »

edenwheeler wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 02:37 Certainly! Writing is subjective, and it's important to find the right balance. You should primarily write about what you love or are passionate about, as this will reflect in the quality and authenticity of your work. However, keeping your audience in mind and occasionally catering to their interests can also help you connect with readers and grow your following. But remember, don't sacrifice your personal joy or interest for popularity. Write what makes you happy, and the right audience will come.
I absolutely agree– if you write something you absolutely don't like, or aren't interested in, it just won't be as high quality as something you would like, or even just at least have a vague interest in. Following a trend of, for example, "YA Romance novel with happy, gushy ending" might get you easy points, but people will just see your book as another one of those books. I think people can just tell when your heart's just not in it. The general idea, outline, and plot of the book, imo, should be what you want. It's then up to the reader to decide if they like the premise or not, and well, you can't control that anyways. The premise and the story ultimately belongs to you.

But, the audience matters too. Storytelling is also about how well you tell the story. That means knowing your audience, and what they might be expecting. Making changes in your story for the sake of an audience is an understandable and reasonable thing to do. For example, a lot of stuff I write is existential and breaks rules (with purpose, of course), but sometimes I hold back on some of those choices and think, "Does this actually work? Does the message I'm trying to communicate have synergy with the way I've written this, and would a reader figure out what I'm trying to do here?"

It also depends on what your end goal is when it comes to writing, but generally, (for myself at least), I go by the rule, make it an enjoyable experience for both yourself and your audience.
Peter N Obas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Peter N Obas »

For me, I wrote about what I want. I am not an author, I do not know if I will ever be one, but I wrote short stories from time to time. Most of these stories are about things that are going on in my head.

I have not published any of them yet, unfortunately. But I'm time, I hope to.
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

In the online novels industry nowadays, they cater to popular genres only. If you want to rise quickly, you need to follow the trends. I'm the kind of writer who prefers writing what I want and doesn't like cliches. If I have to limit myself like that, my passion for writing would fade away.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I prefer writing what I want but knowing the world is changing and thoughts are becoming more and more diverse, so I guess you just have to mold yourself up in a way that you write what you want but also keep in view of the target audience to attract your writings.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Firstly, I write what I want, because I know what I want to write on, but might not know what others want.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

I believe that what I've written will resonate with someone.
Sahoor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahoor.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Sahoor »

I've written quite a few stories myself, I don't think I'll enjoy writing what others have suggested to me because imagining the characters the way they do will be hard and I can't have a fully understandable story to myself. Stories created by my thoughts and imaginations are unique. Writing something that others want will be tough because you can't create the characters the way they want them.

Writting something that brings joy to you, that describes you or your mood is another realm.
Embrace the glorious mess that you are - Elizabeth Gilbert
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I can't even begin to write what others want. Once my friend asked me to write an essay about a topic I was barely interested in. It came out like mush.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

Sometimes I write short stories for my friends. Once I wrote a sad one that actually made my friend cry which was awesome.
all’s fair in love and poetry
Ludovica Peruzzi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

To me, writing is about self-indulgence. If I don't write exactly what I want, no one else will do it for me - and even if no one else reads what I wrote, at least I know I enjoyed writing it and can reread it whenever.

Return to “Writing Discussion”