Do you write what you want or what others want?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Do you write what you want or what others want?

Post by Amystl26 »

tmazonga wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 06:53 I write what I want. But once I start writing, some little voice inside of me takes over. It dictates what I write and I go with its bidding. Some sometimes, a story I initiate ends up in a manner I never envisaged.
I love this! That's true guidance right there! When I'm really in my zone, the same rings true for me. I'm like "where did that come from?" Gotta love intuition!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

DATo wrote: 24 Apr 2015, 20:30 I write for my own enjoyment. If my work is appreciated by others then that is a bonus for which I am very grateful.
100 percent agree! Write for your own enjoyment--other's appreciation is just an added bonus!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote: 25 Apr 2015, 00:55 I write what I want. If I were to "sell-out," so to speak, I'd write an angsty YA book about a heroine who feels that no one understands her. Oh, and she has a supernatural/psychic ability, but instead of appreciating it, she feels like a freak because of it. Oh, and she meets a guy and they fall in love within two days, even though he's a letch. (But he's really good looking, and he smells like "boy!") Oh, and there are snobby bee-yatches at her school and hunky jocks with bad attitudes. Oh, and she has to figure out which student is the psycho killer, but she only uses her psychic powers, like, one time in the whole book. Oh, and the ending is entirely unbelievable--just thrown in there because someone had to be the bad guy.

Huh. Thanks for asking that question--apparently I needed to blow off some steam.
May I ask what YA book you're referring to? And... The Thorn Birds is your favorite book? I just read that last fall, and loved it! Great literary taste! :)
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I write what I want, but I don't center it upon my tastes. I let it take on its own form.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Romekia87
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Romekia87 »

I'm going to write about what touches me personally. That is going to allow me to respond more honestly and give the most thorough opinion on whatever the topic is. If the public agrees and shares my views than that wonderful and might even open up a dialogue, but if not then we can agree to disagree and continue on.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I write for me, of course, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least think about how other people would like it. But that's part of the challenge in writing. I think if you just write without thinking about the reader, then you probably aren't going to write something other people enjoy reading.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

I have to write to my own tastes. I have a lot of trouble with self-motivation due to mental illness and possible ADD-type executive dysfunction so writing about something I'm not interested in is just not going to happen.
Ann McPherrin
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mcpherrin.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Ann McPherrin »

I only write about personal experiences which have affected my life in some way. I always hope that others will appreciate my work but writing for myself is always first.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

I mostly write what I want, but if I'm doing it for monetizing purposes or something like that I will write whatever I think people might want.
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

I mean, it totally depends on what you are writing and if you are free to decide what you want to write.
On almost every writing advice page, people say "Write what you want to write because you can't please everyone and it's not fun to try either" and I agree with that.
Usually, you've got way more fire when you work on something you want to do instead of working on something you are assigned or otherwise obligated to do.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I write whatever interests me. In my opinion, it's no fun writing something other people want you to write, because then it feels forced. Plus, I wouldn't have any motivation if I were to write was others fancied from me.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

I am not into writing as yet, though I know I would only write what is in my heart. It would help me create a niche other than focusing on what others want.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I write what I'm interested in. If that matches what readers like, then that's a bonus for me.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Tcutshall
Currently Reading: Mine to Protect

Post by Tcutshall »

Personally I do a little bit of both. At the moment I’m writing in the erotic romance genre which seems to be a hot ticket. But I try to put some of my preferences into my writing. Of course I also tend to keep out things I’m not that fond of despite seeing it in other novels.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I mostly write what I want. I feel that chasing the big trend leads to arriving late to the party with a book that's not great because your heart wasn't in it.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Writing Discussion”